Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content
Academics About U OF H
Admission Visiting Campus
Student Life Libraries
Alumni Public Purpose
News Arts & Events
Athletics Giving to U of H

Registration Information

Here you can find information about picking classes, the registration process and other vital bits to aid in course selection.

Course Load

A student’s course load is based on the number of credits registered per semester. Students are encouraged to carry at least 15 credits per semester since this will allow for graduation in four years without the need for Winter-term or Summer-term coursework. Any student at 12 credits or more is considered a full-time student. If a student registers for less than 12 credits, they are considered to be part-time students. If a student drops courses so they are registered for less than 12 credits, they will carry an underload. This may be reasonable for students who are under severe stress or are working at improving their GPA. Carrying less than 12 credits may affect a student’s financial aid including loans, housing, private health insurance, auto insurance discounts, F-1 Visa status and other eligibility.

For students living on campus, removal from housing is possible if a student drops below full-time status. Contact the Director for Residential Life, Michael Malone, at ext 7792 for more information.

Before an advisor signs a form to allow a student, who is receiving financial aid, to drop below 12 credits, they should refer the student to the financial aid office (Ashley Dutton, ext. 4642) so that the student is fully aware of any consequences to their aid package.

A student will need an advisor's signature to register for classes through the first week of the semester. During the second week, all instructors’ signatures are also required. After the second week of classes, the signature of the Associate Dean of A&S for Student Academic Services is also required.

A student who registers for more than 18 credits is carrying an overload. This will require the approval and signature of the A&S Associate Dean for Student Academic Services. If approved, the student will be allowed to register and will be charged for all credits over 18 credits. Overloading is helpful when successful students would like additional courses for added enrichment or have a need to take a certain course offered in a particular term. It is not recommended for students to overload to improve a poor academic record. These students should take a modest course load and be encouraged to enroll in Winter-term or Summer-term courses.

Back to Top...

Dropping Courses and Changing Grade Options

Dropping/adding a course or changing the grade option requires completion of the “Change of Program” form (found in SASC or Hillyer 204). Any student initiating a withdrawal from a course requires the advisor’s signature and the A&S Associate Dean for Student Academic Services’ signature. When a student brings the “Change of Program” Form (Drop/Add Form) to an advisor for a signature, the advisor should be sure to confirm that the student will have at least 12 credits after the change. In most cases, an advisor should advise a student to maintain at least 12 credits per semester (full-time status). Carrying less than 12 credits may affect a student’s financial aid including loans, housing, private health insurance, auto insurance discounts, F-1 Visa status and other eligibility. If there is no chance for a passing grade in a course, an advisor may recommend that a student drop below full-time status to help protect the student’s GPA. Advisors should be aware that if a student who is receiving financial aid drops below 12 credits, they will need to make up those credits. To continue to receive financial aid, a student must earn at least 24 credits per academic year before the start of the next fall semester. Other grants may have higher credit and GPA requirements so students should be referred to Financial Aid for the terms of their grants.

If a student is contemplating dropping below full-time status, and advisor should refer them to the following campus resource so that the student is fully aware of the consequences and can make an informed choice.

  • Immigration status: Director of International Admission, Sam Skinner x4839
  • Financial concerns: Admission and Student Financial Aid, Ashley Dutton x4642
  • Counseling or Psychological Services: Counseling and Psychological Services, x4482
  • Academic progress: A&S Dean’s Office for Student Academic Services, x4257
  • Health Issues: Health Services, x6601

A course that is dropped within the first three weeks of a regular semester will be deleted from a student’s record. After the third week, a grade of “W” will be given for any class that is dropped. The last day for withdrawing from a class or changing the grade option (letter grade, pass/no pass, or audit) is the last day of the tenth week of a regular semester.

Students may elect to take one class per semester on a pass/no pass basis, with the exception of RPW 110, 111 and 210. In addition, courses required for the major or minor must be taken for a letter grade to earn credit towards the fulfillment of the major or minor program.

A student may elect to “audit” a course. However, auditing a course confers no academic credit towards a degree.

Back to Top...

An "Incomplete" in a Course

If a student is passing a course and is unable to complete the course due to serious illness or events that make it impossible to continue, a student can ask the professor for an “incomplete” in the course. An incomplete is expressly prohibited in the case of heavy workloads or the pressure of other responsibilities of the student. If the instructor agrees that an incomplete is warranted, the instructor and student will complete the “Agreement for the Completion of Incomplete Coursework” form. If a student in residence does not complete the work and have a grade assigned by the end of the next regular semester, they will receive the mandatory grade of “F”.

Back to Top...

Repeating Courses

At the University of Hartford, students may repeat any course in an effort to improve their GPA. The most recent grade for a course (not the highest grade) is factored into the GPA. Please note that repeating a course does not add to earned credits; a student only earns credit for a course once. Also, repeating a course does not delete the previous grade from the transcript. The previous grade is simply excluded from the GPA calculation.

Back to Top...

The registrar's office also has good information for students pertaining to registering for classes. Please follow this link:

Red Impact Bar