Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content
Academics About U OF H
Admission Visiting Campus
Student Life Libraries
Alumni Public Purpose
News Arts & Events
Athletics Giving to U of H

Advising Students with Unsatisfactory Academic Progress

When advising students in academic difficulty, the predominant concern is usually in maintaining financial aid.  Financial aid is never lost or reduced in January, except for students who are removed from degree candidacy or dismissed.  Students who are not making satisfactory academic progress by the end of the Spring semester will receive a letter from financial aid indicating that their award is in jeopardy.  A student then has the full summer term to correct any deficiencies, unless the student was dismissed.  As soon as courses are completed, it is imperative that the student contact Financial Aid to bring these new credits/grades to their attention.  If courses were taken at another university, the student should have a transcript sent to Hartford as soon as possible once the course is completed.  If a student’s performance in the summer restores them to satisfactory academic progress, financial aid will be reinstated for the fall.

Since the warning letters from Financial Aid do not reach students until well after the first summer session has started, it is wise to advise borderline students to enroll in summer classes early to maximize their opportunities for improvement.  Remember that grades from other institutions do not transfer in to Hartford.  Provided a student earns at least a C- in the course, the credits will transfer in.  Therefore, if a student needs to improve their GPA, additional coursework must be completed at Hartford, or through a Hartford distance learning course.  If a student’s GPA is satisfactory but they are low on credits, classes may be taken here or at another institution.  If a student is planning on taking a course at another institution, they should see Maureen Wimberger in Bates House (B 3, ext. 4021, to obtain the “Permit for Transfer Credit” form.  Students will be advised as to whose signatures are required to have the course approved.  The form should then be submitted to Katie Cox in H 204. 

Advising Handbook Index

Image of irishdance1.jpg

Click here to go back to the Advising handbook 

Red Impact Bar