Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content
Academics About U OF H
Admission Visiting Campus
Student Life Libraries
Alumni Public Purpose
News Arts & Events
Athletics Giving to U of H

Other Ways to Earn Credit

Taking classes and earning a passing grade is the primary way to earn credits at the university.  However, there are other ways to earn credits.  


Up to 27 credits in introductory courses can be earned by taking CLEP examinations (College-Level Examination Program).  These exams are designed to give credit for college-level skills and knowledge that have been obtained through independent study, correspondence courses, work-related activities, or life experience.  The exams are administered at the university and are sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board.  The cost is $127 with an additional charge of $10 for exams with an essay.  The following chart lists the exams and Hartford course equivalencies.  Please click here for more information.

Transfer Credits

Students must fill out a Permit for Transfer Credits form and write out the courses they    intend to take at the other institution.  The form should then be taken to the Bates House and the transfer department, where the transfer evaluators will approve the choice(s). Students should then take that form to the evaluator's office (Hillyer 204), where it will be signed.

Please remember that any courses that are transferred in will not be factored into GPA calculations, they will only be used as credit hours.

Advanced Placement (AP) Testing

The University of Hartford generally grants credit to students who have earned scores of 3 or higher (4 for English Composition) on the appropriate Advanced Placement (AP) examination. Credit can also be awarded for courses taken at an accredited college or university while in high school.

Current AP credit awarding policy

Red Impact Bar