These requirements are for students that entered into Arts and Sciences in Fall of 2009 or later.
For more detail, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin for your matriculation year.
- First year, fall semester
- Designed to instill intellectual passion in first-year students
(These courses may also be used to fulfill an arts, humanities, or social science distribution requirement.)
- One mathematics course
- Any mathematics course except M 118 taught by the A&S math department
- One arts course
- One course from:
- Art History (ART)
- Music (HLM)
- Cinema (CIN)
- Drama (DRA)
- Three humanities courses
- Three courses from three different disciplines from the following:
- Literature (ENG, but not writing classes)
- Foreign language (ARA, FR, GER, HBR, ITA, SPA)
- History (HIS)
- Philosophy (PHI)
- Two social science courses
- Two courses from two different disciplines from the following:
- Economics (EC)
- Politics and Government (POL)
- Psychology (PSY)
- Sociology (SOC)
- If Social science major: must take two courses from outside the major and from two different disciplines
- Two 4-credit lab sciences courses
- Two 4 credit laboratory courses from the following:
- Biology (BIO)
- Chemistry (CH)
- Physics (PHY)
- One laboratory course may be a 4-credit, college-approved AUCT course.
- Two writing courses
- WRT (RPW) 110 (first year, second semester)
- WRT (RPW) 210 (second year, first semester)
- One information technology literacy course
- One course from the list found here.
- Two writing-intensive courses
- In addition to WRT 110 and 210, students must take two writing-intensive courses, one of which must be taken in the major. Writing-intensive courses are indicated by a W following the course code (E.g., CMM 250W)
Four courses from four categories, designated by major; find detailed information here.