Tuesday, Feb. 9
The University is operating on a normal schedule.
Bachelor of Arts in Rhetoric and Professional Writing
As of Spring 2013, admission to the program is closed.
Course Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Major
Learning Outcomes for the Bachelor of Arts in
Rhetoric and Professional Writing
- Students will display a knowledge of the requirements of the various aspects of professional writing.
- Students will demonstrate the basic skills of professional writing practice, including rhetorical strategies, professional editing, proofreading, document and page design, mechanical preparation of text and graphics (computer applications), and delivery systems.
- Students will demonstrate familiarity with the theoretical principles of professional writing.
- Students will exhibit expertise in the techniques of information analysis, data interpretation and evaluation, information development for consumer use, research methods, data presentation approaches, and genre conventions of professional documents.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the workplace environment and its primary concerns through engaging in sophisticated problem-solving activities designed to raise the awareness of the ethical, environmental, cultural, and legal implications of professional writing.
- Students will assemble a senior-year portfolio of academic and/or professional documents demonstrating the ability to write and communicate professionally in workplace environments.
- Students will write a narrative analyzing their development as a professional writer based on the texts included in their portfolios.