Registration Information
Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Registration Information

Course Load

Students are encouraged to carry at least 15 credits per semester since this will allow for graduation in four years. Any student at 12 credits or more per semester is considered a full-time student. If a student drops courses so they are registered for less than 12 credits, they will be considered part-time. Carrying less than 12 credits may affect a student’s financial aid including loans, housing, private health insurance, and other eligibility. Students should contact the financial aid office (Ashley Dutton, ext. 4642) so that they are fully aware of any consequences to their aid package.

A student who registers for more than 18 credits is carrying an overload. This will require the approval and signature of the A&S Associate Dean for Student Academic Services (Jessica Nicklin, PhD - Hillyer 200). If approved, the student will be allowed to register and will be charged for all credits over 18 credits.

Back to Top...

Dropping Courses and Changing Grade Options

Dropping/adding a course or changing the grade option requires completion of the “Change of Program” form (found in SASC or Hillyer 204). Any student initiating a withdrawal from a course requires the advisor’s signature and the A&S Associate Dean for Student Academic Services’ signature. When a student brings the “Change of Program” Form (Drop/Add Form) to an advisor for a signature, the advisor should be sure to confirm that the student will have at least 12 credits after the change. In most cases, an advisor should advise a student to maintain at least 12 credits per semester (full-time status). Carrying less than 12 credits may affect a student’s financial aid including loans, housing, private health insurance, auto insurance discounts, F-1 Visa status and other eligibility. If there is no chance for a passing grade in a course, an advisor may recommend that a student drop below full-time status to help protect the student’s GPA. Advisors should be aware that if a student who is receiving financial aid drops below 12 credits, they will need to make up those credits. To continue to receive financial aid, a student must earn at least 24 credits per academic year before the start of the next fall semester. Other grants may have higher credit and GPA requirements so students should be referred to Financial Aid for the terms of their grants.

A course that is dropped within the first three weeks of a regular semester will be deleted from a student’s record. After the third week, a grade of “W” will be given for any class that is dropped. The last day for withdrawing from a class or changing the grade option (letter grade, pass/no pass, or audit) is the last day of the tenth week of a regular semester.

Students may elect to take one class per semester on a pass/no pass basis, with the exception of RPW 110, 111 and 210. In addition, courses required for the major or minor must be taken for a letter grade to earn credit towards the fulfillment of the major or minor program.

A student may elect to “audit” a course. However, auditing a course confers no academic credit towards a degree.

Back to Top...

An "Incomplete" in a Course

If a student is passing a course and is unable to complete the course due to serious illness or events that make it impossible to continue, a student can ask the professor for an “incomplete” in the course. An incomplete is expressly prohibited in the case of heavy workloads or the pressure of other responsibilities of the student. If the instructor agrees that an incomplete is warranted, the instructor and student will complete the “Agreement for the Completion of Incomplete Coursework” form. If a student in residence does not complete the work and have a grade assigned by the end of the next regular semester, they will receive the mandatory grade of “F”.

Back to Top...

Repeating Courses

At the University of Hartford, students may repeat any course in an effort to improve their GPA. The most recent grade for a course (not the highest grade) is factored into the GPA. Please note that repeating a course does not add to earned credits; a student only earns credit for a course once. Also, repeating a course does not delete the previous grade from the transcript.

Back to Top...

The registrar's office also has good information for students pertaining to registering for classes. Please follow this link: