Frequently Asked Questions
Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change or add a major or minor?

Information and directions on how to change, add, or drop a major and/or minor can be found here.

If you are only looking for the form, it can be downloaded here.

Back to Top...

How do I find the classes required for my degree?

Requirements vary by degree. Follow one of these links to select your specific degree program.

General education requirements for the college can be found here.

Back to Top...

How do I register for classes?

Advisors are given the student registration PINs. These enable students to register online during the advanced registration period. Students are required to meet with their academic advisors to discuss course selection and potential minors/double majors, as well as other factors before obtaining their PIN.

At periods other than advance registration, students will need to register via paper form at SASC (Student Academic Service Center).

The Registrar's office has many helpful links, located at this website:

Back to Top...

How do I drop or add a course after registration has occurred?

To add or drop a class after advance registration and after the first day of classes, a student will need to fill out a paper add/drop form (obtained from either H 204 or SASC) and get their advisor's signature. For any class additions, after the 10th day of classes, students will also need to obtain the academic dean's signature. He is located in Hillyer 200C.

Back to Top...

How do I receive credit for taking classes at another university?

Students must fill out a Permit for Transfer Credits form and write out the courses they intend to take at the other institution. The filled-out form should be taken to the transfer department in Bates House, where the transfer evaluators will approve or deny the choice(s). Students then need to take approved forms to the evaluator's office (Hillyer 204), where it will be signed.

Please remember that any courses that are transferred in will not be factored into any GPA calculations, they will only count towards credit hour total.

Back to Top...

How do I find academic help for my classes?

There are many ways to get assistance at the University of Hartford. The College of Arts and Sciences has some specialized options that are available. You can find information on tutoring here.

Back to Top...

How do I calculate my GPA?

It is a very good idea to keep track of your grade point average. Here is information on how to calculate your GPA.

Back to Top...

How do I take an Incomplete?

A student cannot "take" an incomplete.

If a student is passing a course and is unable to complete the course due to serious illness or events that makes it impossible to continue, a student can ask the professor for an "incomplete" in the course. An incomplete is specifically prohibited in the case of a student's heavy workload or the pressure of other responsibilities of the student. If the instructor agrees that an incomplete is warranted, the instructor and student will complete the "Agreement for the Completion of Incomplete Coursework" form. If a student in residence does not complete the work and does not have a grade assigned by the end of the next regular semester, they will receive the mandatory grade of "F."

Back to Top...

Can I repeat a course?

At the University of Hartford, students may repeat any course in an effort to improve their GPA. The most recent grade for a course (not the highest grade) is factored into the GPA. Please note that repeating a course does not add to earned credits; a student only earns credit for a course once. Also, repeating a course does not remove the previous grade from the transcript. The previous grade is simply excluded from the GPA calculation.

Back to Top...

What does it mean to be on "academic probation?"

If a student does not maintain satisfactory academic progress, the student will be placed on probation (with the exception of first semester freshmen, who receive a warning letter).

A student can be placed on probation for not having the appropriate GPA for the amount of credits earned, passed or failed, OR for not completing the appropriate number of credits based on the number of semesters they have attended the university. (Find the standards listed here)

If the issue(s) are not resolved by the end of the next fall or spring semester, a student may possibly be removed from degree candidacy, meaning they will be allowed to take classes at the university but will not be enrolled in a specific degree program and will only be allowed to enroll for part-time status, impacting housing and financial aid packages, or they could be academically dismissed.

Back to Top...

How do I take a course as Pass/No Pass?

Students may elect to take one class per semester on a pass/no pass basis, with the exception of RPW 110, 111 and 210. In addition, any course that is required for the major may be switched from a letter grade to pass/no pass; however, the course will then need to be repeated.

All courses required for a major or minor must be taken for a letter grade to earn credit towards a degree.

If a student is contemplating changing to the pass/no pass option, they should first consult the instructor. Each instructor may set the letter grade in their syllabus as to what they consider a "pass." As an example, it is possible that a professor may require a C or better for the grade of "pass." However, even the grade of D-, though damaging to a student's GPA, will still allow the course to "count" towards degree completion. Therefore, if a student's GPA can handle it and the student does not want to repeat the course, keeping the letter grade option can allow a greater chance that the student will earn credit for the course. Students should be sure to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of grade changes to be sure they are making a well-informed decision.

Changing the grade option requires completion of the Change of Program (add/drop) form and the advisor's signature. The last day to change the grade option (letter grade, pass/no pass or audit) is the last day of the tenth week of the semester. Attempting to change the grade option after this deadline will require a credible explanation of circumstances beyond a student's control (such as documented illness, family emergencies, etc.) as to why the change is late before the Associate Dean will sign the form.

A student may also elect to "audit" a course. However, auditing a course confers no academic credit towards a degree.

Back to Top...

How do I take a leave of absence?

A student may request to take a leave of absence for one or two semesters and remain on active status. To do this, the student must register for active status (on a standard registration form) and obtain the signatures of the advisor and Associate Dean of A&S for Student Academic Services. Alternatively, the advisor can initiate the process if a student contacts the advisor in writing or through e-mail from a University of Hartford account.

If a student does not register for a semester and does not request active status, the student will have to apply for re-admission if the student returns to the University.

A student who is voluntarily withdrawing from the University should withdraw from all courses, if currently enrolled, and contact Student Administrative Services (SASC) in writing or by e-mail from a University of Hartford account.

A tuition credit, if applicable, for a student who is voluntarily withdrawing is based on the date of withdrawal. See the current Academic calendar in the Bulletin of classes for specifics.

Any student seeking to return to the University should contact the Admissions Office. Students who are reapplying to the University under the Fresh Start program need to re-apply through admissions and prepare a letter of intent for the A&S Academic Standing Committee.

Back to Top...