Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content

A Quick Reference

Does the comma go inside or outside the quotation marks? Should I use which or that in the sentence? Is it "the Hartt School" or "The Hartt School"?

All writers get stumped from time to time by common grammar and usage questions and by institutional "isms" like these. The editors in the Office of Communication have put together this handy reference guide to help answer your questions about correct University editorial style.

In addition to answering your specific questions, the guide will help all of us create correct and consistent copy for all University of Hartford written and web communications. If you don't find an answer to your specific question, visit the Help section. Our resident grammar expert and other resources are available to assist you.

University of Hartford-isms

  • College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
    (note absence of serial comma)
  • College of Engineering, Technology, and Architecture
    (note presence of serial comma)
  • The Hartt School's music theatre program
    (note spelling of theatre)
  • Lincoln Theater
    (note spelling of theater)
  • Always capitalize the word "University" when referring to the University of Hartford.