Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Budget RelatedHow do I process a budget revision/transfer in Banner?

To enter a budget revision/transfer in Banner, use the FGAJVCD form with a BD05 (temporary) or F241 (permanent) transaction code. The Community may do Budget revisions on-line for the current unrestricted fund (Orgs) within the expenditure (6XXXX) lines.

Budget revisions/transfers involving Revenue/Income (4XXXX) and Salary (5XXXX) sub-accounts cannot be completed independently in Banner. Budget Changes for these sub accounts need to be requested, approved and processed by the Budget Office. Please submit a Budget Change form to the Budget Office for these items.

When do I use an IDT vs. a Budget Change/Revision?

An IDT is to move actual YTD Activity from one account distribution (Fund/Org/Account) to another (Fund/Org/Account) and the changes will be reflected in the “YTD Activity” column. An example would be if a department incorrectly charged an expense (already posted in the YTD activity) to the Contracted Services subaccount 62600 but needs to move this expense to Consultants subaccount 62700. This activity would be moved/corrected using an IDT.

A Budget Change/Revision is done to move Budget dollars among various accounts and the changes will be reflected in the “Adjusted Budget” column.

How do I process a Budget Revision that impacts “only” the current year and not the subsequent year’s budget?

If the transfer is between two or more expenditures (6XXXX subaccounts), complete FGAJVCD in Banner using the BD05 (one-time/temporary) journal type. If the Budget Revision includes a Revenue/Income (4XXXX) and Salary (5XXXX) sub-acc instead of the F241 transaction code.ount, complete a Budget Change Form, check the box “One Time Transfer” indicating that it is a one-time Budget Change, have it signed and send it to the Budget Office. The Budget Office will process this budget change, if approved, using a BD05 (one-time/temporary by Budget Office) journal type.

When I make a Budget Change using the F241 journal type in FGAJVCD, I do not see this reflected in the next Fiscal Year’s original budget?

The budgets are rolled at the earliest around mid-January to begin building the next Fiscal Year budget. This is called the "Rolled Budget" or in budget reports will be referred to as the ROL-XX (new fiscal year). Only permanent budget changes made prior to the date of the budget roll will be reflected in the Original Budget. The Budget Office however processes an entry in the first week of July that captures any permanent budget changes made between mid-January and June 30th. These permanent changes, since processed after July 1st of the new fiscal year are reflected in the Adjusted Budget.

Why do I get an “N” message on a Budget Change?

“N” is for non-sufficient funds, and this means that there is not enough money in the account to process the reduction.

If it appears on FGIBDST that there are sufficient funds in the account, then go to screen FGIBAVL to see if there are any pending documents. FGIBAVL will show a check mark if there are pending documents for the subaccount in question. Pending documents include an encumbrance (PO or Reservation) not yet posted or another Budget Change that has been keyed in but not posted yet or an expense that is about to be posted. Place cursor on the subaccount and click F3 to drill down and see a list of pending documents and amounts.

What do I do, if I get an E(rror) message on a Budget Change?

“E” is for error and means that it is an account, Org or Fund, which the community cannot change.  Examples include the 60910 Contingency Reserve Account or any Income/Revenue or Salary subaccount. If you attempt to enter a budget change including subaccounts for which you do not have access without Budget Office approval, please delete the journal in FGAJVCD and submit a paper Budget Change form.

How do I delete a Budget Change/Transfer erroneously entered in FGAJVCD?

In Banner FGAJVCD, enter the Document Number. Next Control-Page Down or Next Block to enter the Document Header section. Delete the Budget Change by clicking the Record item of the tool bar and then click “Remove”.  Repeat this again by clicking the Record item of the tool bar and then click “Remove”. 

How do I process a Budget Change/Transfer for Restricted/Grant Funds?

Send a paper Budget Change form directly to the Financial Accounting Services department if it pertains to restricted Funds. The Budget Office does review/process Budget Changes for Restricted/Grant funds.

If I completed a Budget Change and it is not showing up on the screen, what do I do?

Check FGIJVCD for your Document number to see if there is a “C” for “complete” in the status column or an “I” for “incomplete” in the status column.  If there is a “C”, the Budget Change will be posted in the next posting cycle.  If there is an “I”, go into the Budget Change in FGAJVCD to see if there is an “E” for error or an “N” for non-sufficient funds.  If there is no “E” or “N”, click next block icon and then click “complete” button at bottom of screen.

If I forgot to write down the Budget Change number, what do I do?

If the Budget Change has not been posted, you can check the screen FGIJVCD, which lists the unposted “JV’s” including Budget Changes.  See if your budget revision is there with the description of the change.  If it is not listed, then it has been posted.  Then check the Budget Column detail in screen FZIBDUH in the account from where the money was reduced.

When there are negative (minuses) numbers in the “Available Balance” column, what does that mean?

It depends on the type of “account”:

If it is an Income line (4XXXX), it means that more income has been brought in when compared to the Adjusted Budget.

If it is a Compensation (5XXXX) or Expense (6XXXX) line, it means that the total of the Year-To-Date Activity plus the Encumbrance/Commitments is greater than the budgeted amount in the account. The account is in deficit and must be covered by a budget revision or by an IDT, whichever appropriate.

How do I set up a new Org?

A request explaining the reason for the new Org to be set up, Org name and the person(s) authorized to sign off on the Org should be sent via email to the Budget Director in the Budget Office.

How do I set up a new Fund?

Accounting is responsible for all new fund set-up.  A request including the name, funding source, the purpose for which the funds will be used for and the title of the person authorized to sign off on the Fund should be sent to Financial Accounting Services.

When I do a Requisition, why does it look like I have three encumbrances on the FZIBDUH screen?

The first entry is to reserve the money as a “reservation” for the Requisition.  The second entry is to create the PO from the Reservation/Requisition and the third entry is to subtract the Reservation/Requisition.

If something has been charged to the incorrect line, how does it get corrected?

If an item has been charged to an incorrect account, an IDT needs to be completed and sent to Financial Accounting Services.

If I get a deficit letter from the Budget Office, what do I do?

If the expense has not been charged correctly, determine where it should have been charged and complete an IDT form.

If the expense has been charged correctly, process a Budget Change to cover the negative amount.

Compensation Related

When should I use a Roster vs. a Personnel Action Form (PAF)?

A Roster should be used for temporary employees and students, as well as temporary assignments for Full Time faculty or Full Time and Regular Part Time staff members.

A PAF should be used for Full Time or Regular Part Time Staff assignments or for the termination of a Full Time Faculty member.

How long does it take to pay someone from when I have all the signatures on the Roster?

It takes about three weeks to get someone’s assignment on the system from having it processed by the Budget Office to HRD (if necessary) to Payroll. This timeframe can be delayed for example by incomplete submissions or insufficient funds.

Should someone be paid via a Roster or an Order for Check?

As a general rule if someone is already on the University Payroll system, they should be paid via the Payroll system and a Roster would be required. Please contact Financial Accounting Services to find out more about “employee” vs. “independent contracted labor”.

If a temporary employee/student leaves, how does the remaining encumbrance get liquidated?

A Termination Roster should be processed to revise the job end date and release the remaining encumbrance and sent to the Budget Office.  If the person is to be paid one time or for a series of payments, the area processing the termination must indicate how much of the encumbrance is to be paid at the date of termination.  Please indicate how much of the total encumbrance is due in the “Comments” section of the Roster

If a Full Time or Regular Part Time employee leaves, what should I do?

A PAF to terminate the employee should be processed indicating the last day worked. The timesheet or exempt time report for the last week worked should be sent to Payroll ASAP.

If the position is to be replaced, then a Staff Requisition form should be completed, signed and sent to the Budget Office. Please keep in mind the 8 week holdback for the refill of FT staff positions.

If a person’s compensation/paycheck has been charged to the incorrect Org or Fund, how do I get this corrected?

Please contact the Budget Office to determine if the correct position number was used. Each position number has a unique and specific fund, orgn, account and employee class code string. If determined that an incorrect position number was used, a IDT should be processed to move the charges to the correct orgn and sub-account. In addition, a revised PAF or Roster should be submitted to place the employee in the correct position number.

Purchase Order Related

General questions on the Purchase Order related items should be referred to the Procurement Department. This includes the liquidation of Purchase Orders and PO rollovers, approval queue for requisitions. Please Procurement or Financial Accounting Services.


How do I get access to BANNER Finance?

Please fill out a “Banner Finance Security Request Form” signed by the Dean or Department head and forward it to Financial Accounting Services.

If I have a check to deposit, what should I do with it?

If it is to reimburse for an expense or it is income (NOT A GIFT), take it to the Bursar’s Office and tell the cashier where the check or cash is to be deposited in (specific Org or Fund and specific account).  If it is to reimburse for an expense, use the specific account where the charge is (telephone, etc.)  If it is income, use an income account (4XXXX).

If it is a gift, send it to the Gift Processing at External Relations Office.