Alexander Keller, a well-known community leader, was one of the University’s original incorporators. The Keller Lecture Series, which was established in his memory in 1958, was lovingly curated by his wife, Carolyn, a community leader in her own right as well as a University regent.
Although this extraordinary collection of original and valuable intellectual and creative contributions is worthy of contemporary study, the series is rarely referred to today because it is housed in bricks and mortar archives, unobtainable for mass public consumption.
The idea of an accessible archive for the Keller lecture Series came from Tony Keller, one of Alexander and Carolyn Keller’s sons. He shared the idea with Walter Harrison, president of the University, and with Amy Jaffe Barzach, executive director of The Women’s Advancement Initiative, who, as Tony Keller notes, has “great dot-connecting instincts.” Barzach immediately thought of The Women’s Advancement Initiative’s Dorothy Goodwin Scholars program, which provides scholarships and leadership training to students who propose innovative research or creative projects in partnership with faculty mentors.