Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Instructions for Transfer Students

International Students

Please select this option if you have started a degree/diploma program following completion of your High School / Secondary School.

Step 1:

Complete your Application - Please choose one of the applications below.  Please take time to fill all required fields on the application. Your application will not be considered until we have your address in your home of citizenship.

Web Application - Please complete this online application. 

Paper Application – Please type on your computer, scan and send. Hand written applications will not be accepted.

The Common Application – Please complete this application if you are attending a High/Prep School in the US or an International School overseas.

Step 2:

Submit your Academic Records

You must submit your academic transcripts from all Colleges / Universities  regardless of achievement or desired credit. Failure to present all former academic records will result in immediate cancelation of your application.

All transcripts presented in a language other than English must include a translation and grade conversion.  

We will begin our admission review on the basis of an electronic (scanned) copy of your academic transcripts. Your admission will become final once we receive the official transcript/record from each College/University you have attended.

The  official academic records must be mailed in a separate sealed envelope.  Please visit the Registrar's/Records Office and request that a copy of your official records be sent to the address below:

University of Hartford
Bates House
Office of Admission – International
200 Bloomfield Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06117

Step 3:

Submit your Courses for Credit Transfer

You must submit descriptions/syllabi of each subject completed at your previous university to have your subjects considered for transfer credit. 

Please contact your previous University to collect the course descriptions and please email us all of your course descriptions.

Descriptions/syllabi should include the following information:

  • Objectives of the subject
  • Skills developed as a result of subject
  • Textbooks required for each subject
  • The number of hours per week in lecture/laboratory
  • The length of the academic term in weeks
  • English translations
  • Grade conversions

*Note: We do not search web pages for descriptions.

We accept transfer credits that meet the following requirements:

  • Credits were earned at a regionally accredited university or college.
  • The course was a 100 level or higher course (i.e. ENG 101 Freshman Composition NOT ENG 098 Preparing for College Writing).
  • The student earned a C- or higher in the course.
  • The course covered material that is similar to subject matter offered at the University of Hartford.
  • We have received an official transcript from the institution at which the course was taken.
  • We will accept coursework done online as long as the student can provide an official transcript from an accredited institution; the exception is that we cannot accept online lab science coursework.
  • Computer courses are evaluated on their content to determine transferability. We will not accept computer courses that are more than ten years old.

AP credits:

  • Scores of 3, 4, or 5 (4 or 5 for English) are required in order to grant college credit.
  • Students must have official score report sent from College Board.
  • Students can request their official scores at CollegeBoard
  • AP Credit Sheet

CLEP credits:

  • College Level Examination Program
  • Students can only earn up to 27 credits from CLEP testing
  • Testing locations can be found here.
  • Students must have an official score report sent from College Board.
  • CLEP Sheet

IB – International Baccalaureate credits:

  • Students can earn up to 12 credit hours from IB work.
  • The University of Hartford only accepts Higher Level subjects in which the students earns a score of 4-7.
  • IB Sheet


  • The University of Hartford ONLY accepts credits from institutions that are either regionally accredited in the US  or from International Universities who hold accreditation/recognition by the country’s Ministry of Education.

Step 4:

Provide Proof of Financial Support

Please follow our instructions online for proving financial support.

Step 5:

Provide your Level of English Language Proficiency

English Language Proficiency

If English is not your native language you are required to prove that your language ability is meets our minimum standard. 

If you intend to pursue a degree at the University of Hartford but you do not meet our English language proficiency requirements, you will begin your studies in our on-campus English Language Institute.

English Language Testing – Minimum Scores

Undergraduate all programs:


IELTS   6.0

Pearsons 52

Graduate All Programs



Alternative methods for proving English proficiency:

Successful completion of English Composition at a Regionally accredited College or University in the United States with a grade of B or higher *Must be a traditional in class format online classes will NOT be accepted

International Baccalaureate - English A1 or A2 with grade of 3 or higher

Advanced Placement English with a grade of 3 or higher

SAT Evidence based reading / writing 480 or higher

GCSE or GCE English Pass (syllabus A) with grade of A, B or C

A HKCEE English Pass with a grade of (Syllabus A) with a grade of A, B, C or D

Trinity ISE II Level - Pass in all module areas

Note: US Citizens and Permanent Residents whose native language is NOT English are also required to prove their proficiency with English.

Step 6:

Fine Arts, Music, Performing Arts - ONLY

Please check the following requirements ONLY if you are applying to a degree in the Fine Arts Music, Theatre, or Dance.

Hartford Art School Portfolio Requirements

Painting, Sculpture, Visual Communication Design, Ceramics, & Illustration

Submit an Art Portfolio with a minimum of 15-20 pieces of your art. This should include examples of your best work from the last 2 years, observational drawing and other approaches that demonstrate your strengths. Please submit work that shows the breadth and depth of your art endeavors and highlights your ideas and conceptual abilities as well as your technique.

The Hartt School Requirements - Music, Theatre, & Dance

All majors within The Hartt School require the completion of Hartt’s Supplemental Application and an audition and/or interview.  This can be through a recording and/or Skype interview.  Please visit the Hartt Admission page for further information.

Step 6:

Submit SAT and ACT, IB and AP Testing (Not Required)

These exams are Not Required. You can gain admission without submitting these results. If you chose to take these exams they may help to increase the strength of your record.

In some cases, students who fall below our admission standard have gained admission as a result of a good score on these exams. Submitting these scores can also strengthen your candidacy for scholarship.

SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)
College Board/ATP P.O. Box 6201
Princeton, NJ 08541-6201 USA
Phone: (609) 771-7600
ACT (American College Test)
PO Box 414
Iowa City, IA 52243 USA
Phone: (319) 337-1270

University of Hartford's school codes are: 3436 for the SAT and 0606 for the ACT.

International Baccalaureate: No specific score is required for admission. Diploma holders will be offered admission. An applicant's examination results will determine their eligibility for credit.

Advanced Standing:  The higher the IB score the more credit you will earn against your degree requirements. No credit is awarded for Subsidiary level subjects.

Advanced Placement: Students scoring 3 and above will be considered for credit in their respective subject area.

Step 8:

Transferring your I-20 to Hartford

If you are studying in the United States and have a valid I-20 you are required to complete our "Transfer-in" I-20 Request Form.