More Campus News
- Fall Commencement to Take Place Sunday
- Hartt Dance Student to Appear at The Bushnell This Weekend
- Renowned Vocalists Patricia Schuman and David Pittsinger to Teach Master Class
- HAS Holiday Ceramics Sale – Opening Reception Saturday
Summertime is Construction Time
Renovations and an addition to the Hartford Art School's Taub Hall are among a number of construction projects taking place around campus this summer.
Following are some of the major facilities projects that are currently under way or about to begin:
- Hartford Art School: University officials held a ceremonial groundbreaking on June 20 for The Renée Samuels Center, named for the longtime Art School supporter, trustee and University regent. The project includes renovations to Taub Hall and the construction of a 15,000-square-foot, two-story addition that will allow students to explore the vast potential of digital technology in a space that promotes interaction among a variety of artistic disciplines.
Renovations to the existing building have already begun, and should be 90 percent complete by the end of the summer. The remaining 10 percent of the renovation work will be completed during the winter break, said Senior Director of Facilities Norman Young.
Construction of the addition will begin in July. The entire project is scheduled for completion in February 2007.
Follow progress with our live webcam
- New Residence Hall: Construction is scheduled to begin in mid-July on a new, five-story residence hall with approximately 200 beds. The residence hall will be located east of the University Commons. As part of this project, the area between the Commons and the new residence hall will become a plaza that will serve as a vibrant new center of student life.
The project – the largest residence hall construction since the completion of the Park River apartments in 1989 – is scheduled for completion in August 2007.
- The Complexes: B-Complex and D-Complex are the first of the six “complexes” – the University’s oldest residence halls – to undergo major renovations. Work on B and D complexes is well under way, and should be completed by late August. The renovations include new bathrooms, replacement of heating units, the addition of air conditioning, and many aesthetic upgrades. In addition, one lounge per floor will be converted into a bedroom, creating 24 additional beds per complex.
Also this summer, the Facilities Department will renovate the courtyard of C-Complex, Young said.
- Home Field Advantage: During the past year, the “Home Field Advantage” project has resulted in the creation of a new soccer and lacrosse field, a baseball field, and a new softball field. This summer, workers will put the finishing touches on a new concession building; install netting along the outfields of the new baseball and softball fields; and pave a new parking area behind the baseball field. In addition, the University is leveling off the area where a track will be built. A natural turf practice field will be situated on the site until construction of the track begins.
- New Sidewalk: On the academic side of campus, workers are putting the finishing touches on a new pedestrian walkway going from the ISET complex to the Harry Jack Gray Center. The new sidewalk will also include new and improved lighting. Work is scheduled to be completed by mid-July.
- Lighting: Thanks to funding from the Parents Association, the University will install 30 new outdoor light fixtures in various locations around campus, replacing older pedestrian lighting.
- East Hall: Major renovations have been under way at East Hall, which will be the new home for the Psychology Department and the Graduate Institute of Professional Psychology (GIPP). GIPP, which has been located off campus on Woodland Street, is scheduled to move into East Hall in early July. The renovations to East Hall, which include the installation of a new elevator, are scheduled for completion by the end of July.
- The Hartt School: Workers will renovate classrooms on the fourth floor of The Hartt School building (the Alfred C. Fuller Music Center), beginning in early July. The renovations began last summer and will be completed this summer.
- Gengras Student Union: Renovations to the third-floor facilities of the Counseling Center are scheduled for completion in mid-August.
- Asylum Avenue Campus: The installation of modular buildings is under way on the Asylum Avenue campus to create additional classrooms for the University High School of Science and Engineering. The installation of the modular units will be complete by the start of the new school year.