More News for Students
- Sheff to Speak at Fall Commencement
- Apply Now to Become an RFA!
- Apply for 'Express to Success' Spring Break Mentoring Program
- Schedule Your Final Exams at Learning Plus -- Friday Deadline!
University Celebrates Earth Week
The University of Hartford community is observing Earth Week with a variety of events, culminating in the celebration of Earth Day on Thursday, April 22.
On Tuesday, Hillyer College Assistant Professor of Sociology Wick Griswold and students in his Social Solutions class led a clean-up of the Hog River. In addition, Griswold and his students are building a pyramid in Gengras Student Union with bottles, cans, and other recyclable items that they collected, to show just how much trash we create when we don’t use reusable containers. At the end of the academic year, Griswold's students will redeem the bottle deposits and donate the money to local shelters.
ARAMARK also is holding a variety of events in observance of Earth Week:
– On Thursday, April 22 (Earth Day), the lights will be dimmed in all dining locations to save electricity and raise awareness of the importance of conserving electricity.
– Also on Thursday, in honor of Earth Day’s 40th birthday, there will be a birthday party in the Commons with a decorated cake, cupcakes, and a themed menu.
– In addition, for a designated period of time on Thursday, ARAMARK will be weighing the amount of waste people throw away in the Commons and will publish the findings at a later date.
– Throughout the week, there will be biodegradable tumblers for sale at Einstein Bros. Bagels (Gengras Student Union), the Dorothy Goodwin Café (Mortensen Library), and the Backstage Café (Handel Performing Arts Center). People with reusable mugs will receive a discount on a cup of coffee for the entire week.
In addition, CUPS (Clean Up Public Spaces) and other student organizations will be selling T-shirts that read "The World is Not Your Ashtray" on Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. in Suisman Lounge, GSU. The proceeds will benefit various non-profit organizations. There will also be a number of giveaways, including a card with the top five ways to recycle on campus.