More Campus News
- Paying Tribute to the Victims of Sandy Hook
- Exemplary Student Work Wanted for 2014 Undergraduate Colloquium
- Winter Weather Safety Tips
- Backstage Café Jazz Series to Present Holiday Jazz on Saturday
Generation for Hire: A Discussion on the Employment Market for Graduates
Economists, entrepreneurs, and workforce development experts will be on campus on Monday, Oct. 21, to talk about the direction of Connecticut's economy and what kinds of skills and knowledge the emerging order will actually require of recent graduates.
The panel discussion, which is sponsored by the Connecticut Mirror, begins at 6:30 p.m. in Wilde Auditorium. Panelists will include:
– Peter Gioia – Vice President/Economist, Connecticut Business & Industry Association
– Dr. Daniel Kennedy – Senior Economist, Connecticut Department of Labor
– Orlando Rodriguez – Senior Policy Fellow, Connecticut Voices For Children
– Wayne Vaughan – President, Fuscient
– Katelyn N. Anton – Community Manager, Independent Software | Whiteboard
The experts will discuss several questions, including "does the emerging economic order require the skills college graduates actually possess?" and "What are Connecticut's employers, educators, and economic development leaders doing to retain a generation of students who entered college at the beginning of the recession — and where will these young adults be in five years?"
This event is Stop Two of the CT Mirror 2013-2014 Tour — a 10-stop journey across the state to explore the issues that frame our current discussion of the state’s future. These are public events sponsored by supporters of the Connecticut Mirror. This stop is hosted by the University of Hartford and its Department of Career Services.