Health Science Pre-Optometry
Applicants to the Health Science Pre-Optometry articulation program between the University of Hartford (UHart) and the New England College of Optometry (NECO) must be academically outstanding students with strong, realistic motivation toward the optometric profession.
Acceptance to the program normally requires a student to
- Maintain at least a B average overall and in the sciences during the first three years of high school;
- Rank in the upper 10 percent of the student's high school class;
- Obtain a combined score of at least 1100 (Verbal and Math) on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).
To be eligible for admission to NECO, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Send a letter of intent to NECO upon matriculation at the University of Hartford.
- Complete at least 90 credits of coursework, including all necessary prerequisites, by the end of the third year at UHart.
- Achieve a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.4 overall, with a minimum grade of C in all required courses.
- Submit an application for admission to NECO at the beginning of the final year of pre-professional studies at UHart.
- Satisfactory performance on the Optometry Admissions Test (OAT).
- Obtain a recommendation for admission to NEWENCO from the health science, pre-optometry advisor and/or a letter of recommendation from the University Premedical Professional Advisory Committee.
- Complete all application procedures including a satisfactory interview with members of the Admissions Committee at NECO.
Contact the Office of Admission and Student Financial Assistance: