Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Resident Information

Excerpts from The Source:

Property Loss or Damage

Personal Property

The University is not liable for the loss of money, clothing, or other valuables, or for any loss or damage to property belonging to the student, or any personal goods stored in University housing facilities. The University does not provide insurance for personal property. Students are strongly advised not to bring to campus any items of extraordinary value. Students are urged to inventory all personal belongings, to record serial numbers whenever possible and to make arrangements through separate renter’s insurance for adequate coverage. Thefts should be reported immediately to Public Safety. Engraving tools are available at Public Safety to assist in the identification of personal property.

University Property

The student is liable for any damage to University property and agrees to pay for the restoration of the property to its original condition; natural disasters or reasonable wear and tear excepted. Liability for any damage to the residential unit or to the public area within any of the residential units beyond reasonable wear and tear will be assigned to students of the particular apartment, suite, or room whenever the damage cannot be assigned as the responsibility of identified per-sons. Property belonging to the University must not be moved or taken from areas designated for its specific use. Students are encouraged to have Hawk Pride in their residential communities and help reduce damage by reporting issues and keeping their space clean

Alterations to University Property

Residents shall not make any changes or alterations to an apartment or room, or disassemble or dismantle any piece of equipment or furniture, or place, affix, or attach any articles to the floor, walls, ceilings, furniture, or fixtures without the written consent of the University. This shall include, but not be limited to, the addition or changing of any locks, removal of window screens, the alteration of the heating or light fixtures, painting of any surfacing including window panes, installation of any television or radio antenna, and all other changes, repairs, and additions. University furniture may not be removed from the residence hall at any time.


University custodians are responsible for the routine upkeep of common areas within the residential areas, such as stairways, hallways, laundry rooms, and study rooms. Custodial staff members also clean common area bathrooms within the complexes on a weekly basis. It is the residents' responsibility to clean their rooms/suites/apartments and maintain any supplies in their bathrooms, such as soap. Residents will be held accountable for charges incurred as a result of cleaning that is necessary due to resident abuse. Residents are responsible for disposing of trash that has been stored in bathrooms and rooms.

Garbage Removal

Students must maintain clean rooms/suites/apartments. The living space must not be susceptible to insect and pest infestation, and the property must not be damaged in any way. Food must be stored and disposed of properly. Residents are responsible for the removal of all garbage and trash from their rooms/suites/apartments. Garbage cans may not exceed the 13-gallon (tall kitchen garbage bag) size to ensure that garbage is removed in a timely fashion. Students are expected to empty the garbage from their rooms/suites/apartments into the dumpsters located adjacent to each residential area. Excessive trash in a residential area may result in a health and safety violation and if not corrected could result in a referral to the Office of Student Conduct Administration.

Residential Room Entry Protocol

The University of Hartford Facilities Department is committed to providing visually appealing, safe, healthy, and clean facilities. If a work request has been submitted, staff will be entering the space to conduct the work. Staff work in student rooms between 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday– Friday, except in emergency situations. In order to respect student spaces, staff will not move personal belongings. Requestors should move/remove all belongings around the area to be repaired. In addition, roommates should be notified that a work request has been submitted.
Student rooms may be entered without consent when there is a reason to believe an emergency condition exists. Authorized personnel will enter to protect the health or safety of persons or to make emergency repairs to University facilities to avoid damage to University or student property. During break periods, the University reserves the right to inspect, maintain, and make repairs in residence hall rooms. Further, the University reserves the right to replace damaged or obsolete furniture and to remove from the room, without the occupant’s permission, any objects or materials which constitute a safety or sanitation hazard or are University property.

Throwing items out windows presents a safety hazard and does not constitute an appropriate methods for disposing of trash. Throwing items at windows for any reason is likely to result in broken windows and/or screens. Using windows for egress to or from an area presents a safety risk, may result in damage to the window and/or screen, and is prohibited. Individuals entering or leaving a room/apartment through a window will be subject to misconduct charges and responsible for the cost of any damage that results from this action. Damaged or punctured screens will result in residential damage charges.



Additional Useful Information

Lights and Light Bulbs: Any need for replacement of light bulbs should be reported to our office with as much detail about the location of the bulb as possible. The RFAs will respond to any calls concerning light bulb replacement the same day, but it is important to note that sometimes the lighting issue is not because of the bulb. In these cases, the RFA will report a follow up need to the Electrical Department, and an electrician will then respond to the issue.

Leaks and Flowing Water: When there is an overflow or leak that has the potential to cause damage or to flow to lower or adjacent living spaces, residents should act quickly. A call should be made immediately to get service personnel mobilized to the area. Second, an attempt should be made to stop the water from flowing. Check under sinks and toilets for a small shut-off valve, and turn it counter-clockwise to stop the flow of water. Your neighbors will thank you for your quick action!

Safety and Security: For the safety of all resident students, do not prop doors or window screens and do not let strangers into your building. Check out the Department of Public Safety website for information on how to maintain a safe and secure community.

Making a Request: Check this page for a guide to typical requests and how to plan for Facilities services. Check the page carefully as several campus services are not handled by Facilities.