Transfer Students
Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Transfer Students

Policies & Procedures

Students wishing to transfer to The Hartt School must be familiar with the Transfer Student Policy (below). All students transferring into The Hartt School from a U.S. college or university who are music majors at their current school must complete the Transfer Release Form and submit it with their application. 

Transfer Student Policy

Qualified transfer students, including inter-school transfer students (IST), are accepted to Hartt in both fall and spring semesters for most programs. Applicants to theatre, dance, and music production & technology are only considered for fall entrance. In order to be considered for admission, applicants must be in good standing, with cumulative grade point averages of 2.25 or higher from other regionally accredited institutions or from another school at the University of Hartford. 

Note: Individual programs within Hartt often have additional admission requirements and standards.

Official transcripts from each post secondary institution previously attended are required, whether or not transfer credit is desired. Students with under 30 earned college credits at the time of application are also required to submit official high school transcripts and ACT or SAT scores.

All credentials must be sent directly from the institutions attended to the University of Hartford, Office of Admission.

Credit Transfer

Transfer credit is limited to work completed at regionally accredited colleges and universities in the United States. International applications must submit their transcripts through a NACES accredited evaluation agency. Previous studies should have been completed within a 10-year period immediately preceding application for admission; credits over ten years old may not be accepted. A minimum grade of C- at the undergraduate level is required for transfer credit. Previous courses of study must be similar in scope and content to those offered for credit at the University of Hartford. Credits granted by previous colleges for CLEP, nontraditional learning experiences and other examinations will be evaluated on a separate basis.

Grades do not transfer, even when credits do. Grade point averages are computed solely on courses completed at the University of Hartford.

Placement examinations for music theory are given during each audition day to determine written theory proficiency. Ear training placements are determined after acceptance. During the summer orientation sessions, students take a piano/keyboard placement exam to determine keyboard proficiency. Performance level ranking (i.e. instrument or voice lesson proficiency) is determined toward the end of a transfer student's first semester at his/her jury. For more specific information on juries, contact the Chair of the Department for the performance area (e.g., voice, woodwinds, strings, etc.). 

Bachelor of Music Applicants

Transfer students seeking admissions to BMus degree programs should note that their class ranking may be diminished from their most recent standing at another institution (i.e., if a student is currently a sophomore, he/she may not enter Hartt as a junior). The university evaluates previous academic coursework for transfer to satisfy academic degree requirements; performance-related courses are awarded at the discretion of the faculty based on the student's audition.

Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Applicants

Students seeking admission into the dance programs should understand that all students entering these majors enter as first year students in the performance areas, regardless of previous work. The Hartt School does consider previous coursework for transfer to satisfy academic degree requirements; however the performance-related courses in dance may require a full eight semesters of study at The Hartt School. The Dance Division generally accepts transfer students for fall semester matriculation only.

Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre Applicants (Music Theatre & Actor Training)

Transfer students seeking admission to the Theatre Division must understand that all students enter the music theatre and actor training programs as first year students, regardless of previous work. The Hartt School does consider previous coursework for transfer to satisfy academic degree requirements; however, the performance-related courses of these programs require a full eight semesters of study at The Hartt School to fill program degree requirements. The Theatre Division considers transfer students for fall semester matriculation only and considers each candidate for scholarship based on the audition.

Transferring for January Entrance: Part-time and Full-time matriculation

University of Hartford application and Hartt Supplemental application and supporting documents, including official transcripts from previous study, must be received by the University of Hartford Office of Admission and Student Financial Assistance by November 1, and the audition/interview must take place on the pre-scheduled December audition/interview date. 

Inter-School Transfer Applicants

Students transferring within the University

All inter-school transfer students (IST) must complete The Hartt School Undergraduate Supplementary Application and complete an audition/interview on a published audition date. Click here for the supplemental application. When the audition/interview process is complete and if the student receives notice of acceptance, the transferring student is required to complete a Change of Curriculum Status Form. The student's current advisor within the University of Hartford (not The Hartt School) must sign the Change of Curriculum Status Form acknowledging that the student is changing from one school to another within the University. The student must submit the Change of Curriculum Status Form to the Hartt Evaluator.