New to The Hartt School Community Division? Request private lessons.
Private lessons for children and adults are available throughout the year, including summer. Our distinctive faculty will help you achieve your goals whether you are a beginner or advanced student.
|Piano||5 and up||Traditional and Suzuki|
|Strings||4 and up||Traditional and Suzuki|
|Winds and Brass||9 and up||Suzuki flute available at a younger age|
|Percussion||9 and up||Drum-set lessons available|
|Voice||11 and up||Contact us regarding younger students|
|Guitar||4 and up||Variety of styles and Suzuki|
|Harp||5 and up|
|Organ||Please contact us|
|Composition||Grades 7 and up*||Small-group format or private lessons|
|*Composition private lessons available for younger students|
What you should know about private lessons:
- Students take a private lesson once a week during our 34-week academic year (September–June)
- Lessons are in 30-, 45-, or 60-minute blocks
- Merit and need-based scholarships are available
- Our faculty are highly qualified graduates of conservatories and schools of music from across the country and abroad.
- Group musicianship classes and solo recitals are included in the cost of lessons.
Getting started with private lessons
- Complete the private lesson request form.
- Within one week, our Private Lesson Coordinator will contact you to answer questions and facilitate your initial lesson process, including payment for your initial lesson.
- The initial deposit pays for an introductory 30-minute lesson.
- Meet your teacher and take your first lesson.
- Complete your lesson registration and make arrangements for payment.
Please note: Students must be placed with a teacher before they can register for lessons.
2016–17 private lesson tuition rates
Tuition rates vary depending upon length, method, and in some cases, teacher. Students also receive
- reduced rates on ensemble participation (by audition)
- group Musicianship classes
- free or discounted tickets to Hartt performances
- additional performance opportunities
|Type of lesson||30 minutes||45 minutes||60 minutes|
|Traditional private lessons||$40.50||$55.90||$74.50|
|Suzuki piano or flute||$43.80||$59.20||$76.80|
|Suzuki strings or guitar||$54.60||$70.40||$89.00|
|Late registration fee||$30.00||$30.00||$30.00|
|Registration fees are non-refundable and assessed once per student each year.|
Solo performance is an important aspect of every musician's growth and development. In addition to studio recitals organized by your teacher, we encourage students to participate in Hartt Community Division solo recitals. These are open to all of our students by teacher recommendation.
2016–17 youth solo recitals will take place on the following Saturdays at 3:30 and 5 p.m.:
- October 1, 2016
- November 5, 2016
- December 17, 2016
- January 14, 2017
- February 4, 2017
- March 4, 2017
- April 1, 2017
- April 29, 2017
- June 10, 2017
2016–17 adult solo recitals will take place on the following Sundays at 2 p.m.:
- November 13, 2016
- March 19, 2017
- June 11, 2017
All-school Composition Recital: March 25, 2017 at 6 p.m.
Important Community Division Lesson Policies
- Registration for all programs is for a full academic year, September through June, and tuition is assessed for the full term.
- Payment of at least 10% of the full year’s tuition (plus applicable fees) is required prior to the commencement of lessons, coachings, and/or rehearsals.
- Classes and lessons are pro-rated after the start of term.
- After the initial 10% payment, the balance may be paid in up to 8 installments to the University of Hartford.
- An opt-out period is available during the third week of January for students wishing to withdraw without penalty.
- Please view our complete policies for more information.
Questions? Call us at 860.768.4451 or email us at email@example.com.