Why Choose Hillyer?
Hillyer College, one of the seven schools and colleges of the University of Hartford, provides a robust and structured liberal arts curriculum and an emphasis on student engagement with faculty that prepare students to complete a bachelor's degree and continue successfully in life.
Faculty Who Know Your Name
- We strive to know our students.
- Our class sizes are small.
- We expect students to attend class so that we can get to know them.
- We believe in good academic advising.
- We learn about students' abilities but we also want to know their hopes and dreams.
- All students have one of their classes with their academic advisor during their first semester.
- In a recent study of Hillyer alumni, half had a graduate degree; this is significantly higher than the national percentage for college graduates, and we believe it is a result of our relationship building.
Full University Experience
A Passion for Teaching
- As part of the University of Hartford, our students participate in all the activities associated with being at the University.
- Hillyer students have led student government, edited the student newspaper, published articles alongside faculty, and been All-Conference in NCAA Division I athletics.
Bachelor's Degree Focus
- The Hillyer College faculty are gifted teachers who choose to be at Hillyer rather than any other University.
- They inspire and educate our students with their passion for teaching, and they conduct research in their areas of interest.
A Foundation for Success
- While we confer an Associate of Arts degree at the end of a student's second year, nearly all of our students are focused upon the bachelor's degree and beyond.
- Hillyer alumni: 53% go into the liberal arts, 36% go into business, 10% go into education and human services, and 1% go into art, music, engineering, and other fields.
- 78% of our students decide to remain at the University of Hartford to finish their bachelor's degree, while 22% will seek their BA or BS elsewhere.
- The finest universities in the United States recruit Hillyer graduates for bachelor's degree completion at their institutions.
- After graduation, students go on to careers in business, criminal justice, education, law, engineering, and public service.
See the World
- Hillyer College is committed to making sure our students are educated about being part of the global community through on-campus lectures and off-campus experiences.
- Students have received partial scholarships to study in Europe, Central America, and Polynesia.
- Faculty-led alternative spring break trips have included destinations from Europe to disaster-stricken areas along the Gulf Coast of the United States.
- Our students work with elementary school children through Educational Main Street, a tutoring program at the University.
- A group of students and faculty were highlighted in a New York Times article for giving up their spring break to help in the effort to rebuild New Orleans, La.
- Our students and faculty are focused upon the needs of the environment, regularly helping to clean up local rivers.