Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content

Flexible Spending Accounts

Total Administrative Services Corporation (TASC)
Location: 2302 International Lane, Madison WI  53704-3140
Phone: 800.422.4661 or 608.241.1900
Fax: 608.245.3623
TASC Website:

This benefit is available to all regular full-time faculty and staff. The subscriber number is the employee's Social Security number.

Authorized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a tax-advantaged way to pay for certain medical and/or dependent care expenses. This added benefit allows you to pay for these expenses using pre-tax dollars. Therefore, your taxable income is lowered and may result in a higher take home pay.

There are two types of FSAs. First, the Health Care FSA helps you to pay for medically necessary expenses not covered or only partially covered by your health, dental, and/or vision insurance. Second, the Dependent Care FSA helps you to pay for certain dependent care expenses such as day care for a child or elderly adult. You may elect to participate in one or both of these accounts.

The minimum annual election for either (or both) accounts is $100, and the maximum annual election for either (or both) accounts is $5,000.

Specific limitations apply for both accounts. For more detailed information, refer to the plan document.

You can enroll in one or both accounts within 31 days of date of hire, within 31 days of a qualifying event (as defined in IRS regulations) as well as during the annual open enrollment. At the time of enrollment, you determine how much to contribute to each account. Please note that if you participate in both the Health Care FSA and the Dependent Care FSA, there will be two separate withholdings noted on your pay stub. These contributions will be deducted from your paycheck evenly over a calendar (taxable) year. You are encouraged to calculate reimbursable costs carefully. Any unused funds left in an account after the end of a calendar (taxable) year must be forfeited. This is an IRS regulation.

At the time of service, you have the following option for payment and/or reimbursement:

  • Debit card - you may provide your debit card at point of service to have the expense deducted directly from your FSA account. Be sure to maintain all receipts from debit card purchases in the event your account is audited. The debit card feature may only be used in conjunction with a Health Care FSA.

Questions regarding this policy should be directed to your HR Service Partner.

For additional information pertaining to Flexible Spending Accounts, including claim forms, please visit the forms page.

This page is designed to summarize the University of Hartford's Flexible Spending Account Plan(s). It is not intended to be all inclusive. Where there are differences between the provisions of this website and more specific statements contained in University files (such as plan documents), those statements shall control.