Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

International Student Health Insurance Requirement

International Student Health Insurance Requirement

The University of Hartford requires all undergraduate and graduate full- and part-time international students on an F-1 or J-1 student/exchange visitor visa to be enrolled in an accident and sickness insurance program.

The University has partnered with Arthur J. Gallagher Co. and the AETNA insurance company to provide insurance coverage to our students. 

All international students and scholars will be automatically enrolled in the University's health insurance plan at the time of course registration. The charge for coverage will appear on your University billing. Students may "waive out" (see Waiver Policy below) of the University policy if they are covered by another policy that meets or exceeds University and federal requirements for medical insurance coverage.

Dependents on F-2 visa status are not required to have health care insurance unless enrolled in a program of study. However, the University strongly recommends that coverage be provided, particularly for children. J-2 dependents are required to have insurance coverage that meets or exceeds State Department requirements. The University requires all J-1 scholars and dependents to be enrolled in the university policy

We strongly advise that you do not purchase health insurance in your home country, whether through your government, sponsoring agency, employer or private insurance company without consulting with the International Center prior to any purchase. In many instances it may not meet the University's health insurance standards, which are compliant with the U.S. Federal Health Care Reform Law known as the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" (PPACA).

In addition, the University will not accept "travel" or "short-term" insurance policies that do not meet university health insurance standards. You may be required to spend additional funds to purchase the university policy or another policy that meets our standard requirement.

Insurance Cards

Insurance cards are only available on-line through the Arthur J. Gallagher website portal. You may download your card by signing in and creating your account. Typically the cards are not available until the third or fourth week of class.  Students who require emergency medical care before the cards become available, should contact the International Center.  The Center can request that an emergency card be issued to you,

Insurance Waiver Policy for Fall 2016 and spring 2017

The University has put in place a "waiver" process for qualifying F and J students. While insurance is required, a student may request a "waiver" from the University administered health insurance program by showing that they are already enrolled in a program which has coverage equal to or greater than the University policy. Qualifying students must request a waiver through the International Center. Waivers must be requested no later than the University's "Census Date" (September 30, 2016 for those students enrolling in the Fall 2016 semester and February 24, 2017 for those students enrolling in the Spring 2017 semester.) Students requesting a waiver after the "Census" date will be denied their request for a waiver for that semester and billed for the University insurance policy.

A decision on a request for a waiver will be made within five working days or less by the International Center.

Waiver Eligibility

The requirement that you purchase the University of Hartford Student Health Insurance Plan may be waived only if you meet certain eligibility criteria and have comparable insurance that is valid in the U.S. Only students who fit into one of the following categories are eligible for an insurance waiver:

  • Student funded by his or her government or the U.S. government.

  • Student receiving health insurance benefits provided by a U.S. employer of his or her parent, spouse or domestic partner.

  • Student enrolled at the University of Hartford but doing studies or research outside the U.S.

  • Student working in the U.S. and receiving health insurance benefits through his or her employer.

  • Student who has private health insurance that meets the University's minimum standards (see minimum requirement below)

How to request a Waiver

  1. Complete a University Insurance Waiver Form

  2. Bring your waiver form and insurance policy coverage document to the international Center (an insurance ID card is not acceptable as the university is required to determine that your policy meets specific insurance limitations and coverage).

  3. Upon receipt of your Waiver request and supporting documentation and approval of your Waiver request, the International Center will update your University account with the Bursar's Office.  The charge for insurance will be removed from your account and that information will be sent to our insurance provider.

Your insurance should meet these minimum requirements to be eligible for a Waiver (other requirements may be applicable):

  • Plan must be one year duration
  • The insurance company must be U.S. based (headquarters located in the U.S.) and the address to submit claims must be in the U.S.  

  • Plan minimum coverage  - unlimited per policy year

  • Deductible no greater than $250 for "Preferred Providers." - Outside Network Providers, $500. Preferred Provider Out-of-Pocket Maximum of $6,350 per insured per policy year or $12,700 per family.

  • In Network :Emergency Room $175 Copay (waived if admitted) 100% of NC. Out of Network: $175 Deductible (waived if admitted), 100% of RC
  • Wellness/preventative at 100% with no co-payments

  • No internal benefit caps on coverage categories (diagnostics, lab, hospital, R&B, pharmacy, mental health, etc.)

  • Laboratory, X-rays, and Diagnostic Testing 80% of NC 50% of RC
  • Travel assistance for medical evacuation and repatriation

  • pre-existing condition(s) must be covered

The above is subject to change without notice

 Important Notes:

  • A medical insurance policy must be issued by a U.S. insurance company headquartered and serviced in the U.S. Insurance policies issued to you from non- U.S. based insurance companies will not be accepted (regardless whether  or not your policy is serviced in the U.S.)

  • An insurance policy issued for "Short-term" or "Travel" is not considered comparable coverage.

  • Waivers for the 2016-2017 academic year will be processed through the International Center.  If the International Center cannot determine whether a non-university insurance policy meets specified requirements, the Center will consult with our insurance providerto determine final waiver eligibility.

Click on the links below for complete information regarding the University of Hartford Intenational Student insurance policy, costs and coverage information.