Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Study Abroad FAQs

Here are the questions most frequently asked.

Q. Is there a specific GPA required for studying abroad?
A. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better in order to be eligible to study abroad. GPA requirements for our study abroad partner programs range from 2.5 to a 3.2.  Students with a GPA between 2.25 and 2.5 are encouraged to submit the Study Abroad Petition process as some overseas programs will accept students with GPAs below a 2.5.

Q. Do I have to be a junior in order to study abroad?
A. No. While many students do go abroad during their junior year, there are many programs open to qualified sophomores and seniors.  In fact some programs at University of Hartford specify certain majors must go abroad sophomore or senior year - contact the Study Abroad Office and your advisor early to see when you can go!

Q. When should I apply?
A.All students must apply to the UHart Study Abroad Office prior to applying with a study abroad partner program.  Our deadlines are March 15 for fall semester programs and October 15 for spring semester programs.  After being accepted by the office, students then apply to the program.  These application deadlines vary from program to program, so please contact the office early to find out when your program deadline is. 

Q. May I use financial aid for my study abroad program?
A. Yes. Most financial aid will transfer for semester and year-long programs approved by the University of Hartford. Check with the Study Abroad Office for specifics. 

Q. Do I pay University of Hartford tuition in addition to the cost of the study abroad program?
A. No. For many approved semester- and year-long programs students pay University of Hartford tuition OR the host university tuition, if it is higher. Note: If the host program’s tuition is less than the University of Hartford's tuition, you will still pay University of Hartford tuition. However, you will never pay the tuition twice.

QHow does room and board work?

A. Housing varies on every program from dormitories, to apartments, to host families. Whatever room and board choice you choose through your program provider is the amount that will be charged to your University of Hartford account. You will not be billed for University of Hartford room and board when you are abroad.

Q. Do I pay the program provider or University of Hartford?
A. The only time that you will pay the program provider directly is for an application fee, an initial deposit, or for a room damage deposit. Thereafter, you will be billed by the University of Hartford for all program fees.  Please note: some providers offer optional excursions or other add-ons not included within the program.  In this case you would also pay the provider directly. 

Q. Are there any special fees associated with study abroad?
A. Yes. All students receiving University of Hartford credit must participate in an emergency insurance plan. The fee for a semester-long student is $180. Please contact the Study Abroad Office for additional information.

Q. Do I have to withdraw from University of Hartford in order to study abroad?
A. For University of Hartford-approved fall and spring semester programs, you are registered as a University of Hartford student. If you choose to study independent of University of Hartford and enroll directly in a program, you must apply for active status through the Registrar's Office to maintain your University of Hartford status.

Q. Will the courses I take abroad count toward my degree program at the University of Hartford?
A. Yes. Courses taken at approved study abroad programs are considered University of Hartford courses.  Both grades and credits are included on your University of Hartford transcript and are calculated into your GPA. All courses must be pre-approved by your academic advisor and other university staff as needed.

Q. Can I take courses in my major?
A. Yes. We can find courses abroad for almost any major. Click here for a list of sample courses for a variety of majors here at University of Hartford.  If you are looking for a specific subject not on this list, please contact the Study Abroad Office.

Q. May I take courses in English in countries where English is not the official language?
A. Yes. English language programs exist in non-English speaking countries. We highly recommend that you take at least one language course in the country in which you are considering studying. This will add to your immersion experience profoundly. If you are looking to become fluent in a language, the best way to learn is by going there.

Q. Are the summer study abroad programs just like fall/spring programs only shorter? Are there advantages/disadvantages to summer and semester programs?
A. Summer programs range from one to eight weeks, with most running three weeks. University of Hartford summer programs are courses for our students that are designed and led by our professors. These are a wonderful way to get a glimpse into another culture. Numerous programs offer summer programs all over the world. One main difference, however, is that University of Hartford financial aid cannot be used for summer programs, although private loans can. Two disadvantages to a summer program is that students do not have as much time to fully immerse themselves in the host culture and many times the only students on a summer program are Americans as most local students do not take courses over the summer

Q. May I talk to a former study abroad student?
A. Yes. Students who have returned from these programs are one of your best resources for information about all aspects of study abroad programs. Many have volunteered to share their experiences with students thinking about going abroad.  You should also attend the Lunches with Alumni which happen twice a semester - these are panels of students who studied abroad and they are there to answer all of your questions about their experiences overseas.  You can also get in touch with our Study Abroad Alumni Network by calling our office 860.768.5100. 

Q. What is a University of Hartford "Administered Program?"
A. These are programs administered and supervised by the University of Hartford. Our faculty are directly involved, and course credit and grades are given just like courses on campus. These are offered over winter, summer, and spring-break sessions. 

Q. What is a University of Hartford "Approved Program?"
A. These are semester and year-long programs sponsored by program providers that have been approved by University of Hartford. More than 100 programs are approved for University of Hartford student participation in Africa, Asia, Europe, South America, the Middle East and Oceania. Students receive University of Hartford grades and credit toward their degree for courses taken through these programs. Students are able to apply all of their financial aid towards these programs. The University of Hartford-approved program list is available on our website

Q. What if I want to study abroad on a program that is not approved or I wish to study abroad independent of the University of Hartford?

A. Students may choose to study abroad on non-approved programs or to make independent arrangements to study abroad on approved programs. In this case, students make academic and financial arrangements directly with the study abroad program provider. Before going abroad they should seek a leave of absence and go on "active status" for the period that they will be abroad. Students are responsible for ascertaining that the courses they take under such circumstances will transfer back to the university and/or fulfill their requirements for a degree.  Please note: you may not be able to use your financial aid on programs not affiliated with the University of Hartford.

Q. Why might potential employers value an employee who has studied abroad?
A. Only 10% of U.S. college students study abroad - why not use this experience to set yourself apart when applying for jobs and grad schools?  We live in a global world and potential employers are impressed when students have an international experience. It shows that you're motivated, inquisitive, assertive, flexible, independent, and willing to try new things—all very appealing qualities in an employee.

Q. If I require accommodations for a physical, emotional, or psychological condition can I study abroad?
A. Students should consult with their physicians, psychologists, and counselors extensively regarding study abroad plans. They should also disclose their circumstances to the program providers. This will allow the program provider to appropriately assist the students. Students should also continue their prescribed medications while abroad, which may mean bringing a supply sufficient for the duration of their sojourn.

Q. If I have less than 30 credits remaining before I graduate, am I still eligible to study abroad?
A. Yes. Studying abroad through one of our affiliate programs allows you to earn University of Hartford credits while you are away. Therefore, credits taken through an affiliate study abroad program can count towards your last 30 credits "in residence" at the University of Hartford.

Q. How do I get started with my planning?
A. Make sure to explore the other pages on the Study Abroad website, including the Study Abroad 101 section, 4 Steps of Studying Abroad, and Scholarships & Funding.  Your first step is to attend a Study Abroad 101 information session (dates can be found here) - after attending a session you can set up an appointment with the Study Abroad Office to discuss the options available to you.