SmartHost: Responsible Partying
The SmartHost Program allows residential students to register and host a party on campus as long as the hosts attend and pass the SmartHost Certification Class. Students are encouraged to create a fun and safe environment while hosting a party. The class is intended to inform students about Connecticut state laws and University of Hartford policies.
Party Registration Requirements
- Each member of the group hosting the party must attend one SmartHost Certification Class and pass the course.
- Each member of the group hosting the party must individually sign up for a class. One member cannot sign up the entire group. The class size is limited and no exceptions will be made for any group whose members do not all all sign up for the class.
- The host and server of the party must be 21 years of age.
- Group members hosting the party must be at least 20 years of age to participate in the SmartHost Class and to register a party.
- The host of the party MUST reside in the apartment where the party is taking place.
- Sign up by completing the SmartHost Application, which may be obtained through the resident director for the Village Apartments.
- You will need your student ID to sign up.
SmartHost Certification Class
This class is offered to students who are interested in hosting a party in the Village Residential areas except for Quads 1 & 2 (due to 24 hr. quiet hours). The resident of the Village apartment where the party will be hosted needs to be at least 21 years of age. You only need to take the class once in an academic year.
- Advance registration is required.
- Each class is approximately 45 minutes. You must stay for the entire class.
- Late arrivals will not be permitted to complete that class and will need to sign up for a future class.
- Six students must successfully pass the training to be SmartHost certified.
- Of the six residents, at least three participants must be 21 years of age.
- There is a quiz at the end of the class to ensure that you understand the policies related to hosting a party. Anyone who does not pass will not be awarded a certificate of completion.
- Each member of the host group must show their certificate to register a party on campus with the Public Safety Office.
- Only residential students can attend the SmartHost Classes and register a party.
- You must bring your student ID to class. You will not be permitted to enter unless you have your University of Hartford ID with you.
Students should familiarize themselves with the section in The Source regarding Types of Parties for more details (see the Alcohol Policy section).
For additional information, please contact the Village Resident Director, Max Koskoff or the Village Graduate Assistant for Community Development, Melanie Bernardes.