SmartHost: Responsible Partying
The SmartHost Program allows residential students to register and host a party on campus as long as the hosts pass the SmartHost Certification Seminar and attend the party. Students are encouraged to create a fun and safe environment while hosting a party. The seminar is intended to inform students about Connecticut state laws and University of Hartford policies.
Party Registration Requirements
- Each member of the group hosting the party must attend one SmartHost Certification Seminar. No sign ups required.
- The host and server of the party must be 21 years of age.
- Group members hosting the party must be at least 20 years of age to participate in the SmartHost Seminar and to register a party.
- The host of the party MUST reside in the Village apartment where the party is taking place.
- You will need to bring your student ID and driver's license to the seminar.
SmartHost Certification Seminar
This seminar is offered to students who are interested in hosting a party in the Village Residential areas except for Quads 1 & 2 (due to 24 hr. quiet hours). The resident of the Village apartment where the party will be hosted needs to be at least 21 years of age. You only need to take the seminar once in an academic year.
- Advance registration is not required.
- Each seminar is approximately 45 minutes. You must stay for the entire seminar.
- Late arrivals will not be permitted to complete that class.
- Six students who attend the party must successfully pass the training to be SmartHost certified.
- Of the six residents, at least three participants must be 21 years of age.
- There is a quiz at the end of the seminar to ensure that you understand the policies related to hosting a party.
- Only UHart students can attend the SmartHost Seminar and register a party.
Students should familiarize themselves with the section in The Source regarding Types of Parties for more details (see the Alcohol Policy section).