Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Room Change Process

The Office of Residential Life prides itself on its flexible room–change policy. Procedures must be followed, however, to ensure accuracy of records and the security of the living spaces involved.

Students who desire a room change must follow the procedures outlined by the Office of Residential Life by contacting the appropriate resident director of their area. Contact your RD via email and schedule a time to meet. Approval depends on the resident's need for a room change. When appropriate, mediation between room, suite, and apartment mates may be required before a room change is granted. Most times, an open and honest conversation about the concerns of each individual is sufficient to overcome roommate problems. Sometimes a simple, but detailed, roommate agreement can settle disputes residents may have with each other.

All room-change requests are subject to approval based on space availability. If there is a vacancy in your living unit as the result of a room change, the Office of Residential Life reserves the right to check the condition of the room and to assign a student to the vacancy. Students are expected to maintain the original prepared condition of any vacancy in their living unit. Failure to do so is called an un-prepared vacancy and may result in a student conduct violation. Any student involved in an unauthorized room change will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and may face other housing-related consequences.

Once a room change has been approved, the change should be completed within one week unless an extension period is approved by the resident director. Residents are asked to pick up their new key(s) in the Office of Residential Life. Once all of a resident's belongings have been moved into the new space, the resident must return the old room key for the room change process to be completed. If the student does not return the old key in a timely fashion, he or she will be charged the fee for a lock change.

Residential Life staff will activate or deactivate access as appropriate. The University of Hartford has a special keying system that prevents the duplication of its keys. For this reason, lock changes are extremely expensive. See lost key for more details.