Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Residential Living Requirement Exception Process

The University of Hartford Residential Living Requirement states all full-time undergraduate students must live in on-campus housing and participate in a meal plan during their first two years at the University, barring a formal exception. The following process details the steps to file a formal appeal with regard to the Residential Living Requirement.

Residency exceptions are only approved for students with extenuating circumstances that can provide documentation to support their waiver request. The Office of Residential Life interacts and collaborates with many campus partners to make the most informed decision possible, in order to support our students and the mission of the University.

Students receiving any form of aid (grants, loans, or work study) should speak with a representative from the Office of Student Financial Aid to understand the individual options or impact of waiving the University residential living requirement.

Students may request an exemption from the residency and meal plan requirement if they meet any one of the following criteria:

  1. Student is studying abroad for the semester, or
  2. Student is married and living with spouse, or
  3. Student’s permanent address (i.e., used for tax purposes) is within 30 miles of the University’s mailing address and they are living at this address with their parent(s),
  4. Student is 23 years old or older, or
  5. Student has extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances typically do not include roommate conflict, a signed off-campus lease, or not receiving a preferred housing assignment in the room selection/assignment process.

International students enrolled through the University Pathway program are required to live on campus. International students enrolled through other programs should work directly with their admissions representative on specific University housing options and requirements.

Requests for a residential living requirement exception should be emailed to the Director of Residential Life at Please include your name, SID number, reason for request, term you wish to begin the exception, and any supporting documentation for your request.

Students who are granted a residential living exception for Fall and/or Spring semesters forfeit any guaranteed housing status for future terms. If you apply for housing in the future, your request will be considered on a space available basis.