Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Parent FAQs

What Every Parent Should Know

Is a meal plan required if my son or daughter lives on campus?

Yes. The University of Hartford requires that all resident students have a meal plan.  There are several healthy and affordable options available. We are committed to ensuring that students have access to a number of different dietary options on campus. For more information on campus dining options, visit


Should my son or daughter bring a computer to the University of Hartford?

Many students on campus choose to have either a desktop computer or a laptop, and we find that it can certainly be easier on students when it comes to completing all of their assignments. There are also numerous computer labs on campus, including at the Mortensen and Allen Libraries, which are available for student use.


How much do books cost a semester?

The price of textbooks varies from semester to semester and depends quite heavily on students' majors and the classes in which they are enrolled. On average, textbooks are approximately $500 a semester. However, some of the science textbooks can be more expensive and can cause fluctuation in the prices. For more information on textbooks, visit our bookstore at


Does the University of Hartford have cable TV and Internet in the residence halls?

Yes. All of our residence halls come fully equipped with a cable TV hook up, Internet port, and Wi-Fi.


Can my son or daughter get a job on campus?

Students who qualify for federal college work-study by the Office of Admission and Student Financial Assistance can attend a Work Study Job Fair at the beginning of each semester. Offices on campus that employ work-study students are available at this event to talk about the potential for employment on campus. There are also a number of offices on campus that employ students without work-study.


How do I know if my son or daughter qualifies for financial aid?

At the beginning of each year, in either January or February, file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit it to the University of Hartford. For more information on FAFSA, visit or the Office of Admission and Student Financial Assistance at


Is the University of Hartford a safe environment to live and to learn in?

The safety of the students enrolled in the University of Hartford is a top priority for members of our faculty and staff. The Department of Public Safety is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, should any form of assistance be required. Several emergency phones are placed around campus and available for use in the event of an emergency situation. Likewise, Public Safety officers are available to all students should they require an escort during off-peak hours around campus. The University of Hartford also provides a courtesy shuttle for students around campus during off-peak hours. For more information on the Department of Public Safety, visit

Can my incoming student have a car on campus?

Yes. The University of Hartford does not restrict freshman students from having their vehicle on campus. We understand that there are a variety of reasons why a student may need to have access to off-campus amenities. Please note that the University of Hartford does operate an off-campus shuttle to students who do not have access to a car on campus, and this service is provided free of charge. Contact the Department of Public Safety, Parking Services, for more information at


What if I want to send my resident student a package?

The Mail Services office is located on the first floor of Gengras Student Union. Resident students, who are each assigned an on-campus mailbox number in their welcome packets, can receive both letters and packages. Please note: Student mail should be addressed as follows:

                                    Student’s full name
                                    Box number
                                    University of Hartford
                                    200 Bloomfield Avenue
                                    West Hartford, CT 06117


When can my freshman student move in, and how will I know where to go?

All the information involving move-in timelines and locations will be sent to your student in an email to his/her account. This information, which is sent in the month of August, includes your student's roommate's name and a room assignment. Any additional questions may be directed to the Office of Residential Life.  View details.


My student struggles in certain classes. Are there tutors available?

The Student Success Center, located off Alumni Plaza behind B Complex, is available to all students at the University of Hartford. Qualified staff at the center are available to answer any and all questions relating to academics and campus life. The center is also responsible for arranging tutors for students. For more information, visit


I have a question that I don’t see answered here. What do I do?

Contact the Office of Parent Relations at 860.768.4260, or email your question to