Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Academic Questions

How do I choose a major?

If you are undecided, there are two ways to choose a major. First, select courses, whenever possible, that allow you to explore different areas that hold some interest for you. This will allow you to assess your interest in a field at the college level. If you are not sure about your interests, make sure you select courses from a variety of areas and you may discover an new interest. Second, visit Career Services. They can help you explore your interests using career and interest exploration software, as well as provide an opportunity to talk to a career counselor.

How do I change to a different major?

Changing a major at the University of Hartford is typically very easy, with some exceptions. Every college has an academic service office that can give you a change of major form that requires several signatures. As long as you are in good academic standing, moving among majors and colleges only requires completing the change of major form. Two colleges require more: The Hartt School requires an audition and the Hartford Art School requires the submission of a portfolio. Visit the academic service office of either of those colleges to find out what is required for an audition or portfolio.

How do I check my final grades?

Final grades are placed in our University Banner System usually within 48 hours after each exam.
Steps to Check: Go to > click on current students > self-service center > student sign on > enter ID# > enter PIN# > student main menu > student academics > view final grades.

I am having trouble connecting with my advisor. What should I do?

If you have made an effort via e-mail and in person to connect with your assigned advisor, then come see us in the SSC and we will help you.

Is there assistance for students who need help with study skills and writing papers?

The Center for Reading and Writing offers free individualized assistance to anyone in the University community who wants to develop efficient strategies for reading, writing, and studying. Professional and peer consultants help with writing issues such as generating ideas for papers, writing research papers, and organizing and editing drafts. They also teach flexible and effective strategies for managing time, taking notes, reading, and preparing for exams. Specialists are available to work with international students.
Location: Auerbach 209
Link: Center for Reading and Writing

Where do I go for academic support if I have a learning disability?

Access-Ability Services provides academic support to students with specific learning disabilities and/or attention deficit disorder. The support consists of one 45-minute appointment a week with an adult Access-Ability specialist presenting applicable learning strategies. It is not a comprehensive program and there is no separate application process or fee.
Location: Auerbach 209
Phone: 860.768.4312
FAX: 860.768.4183
Link: Access-Ability Services

How can I get tutoring help?

There are a number of services available to assist you. They include:


The Student Success Center Peer Tutoring - A peer tutoring program designed to help students receive one-on-one assistance from an upperclassman student who received an "A" in the course. We staff tutors for many 100 and 200 level courses and a limited number of 300 and 400 level courses. We will also work to find you a tutor if we do not have one listed for your specific course. Please request early as schedules fill up during mid-terms and finals!
Location: SSC
Phone: 860.768.7003

The Math and Physics Tutoring Lab - staffed by full-time faculty and upper-class majors in the departments and offers tutoring on nearly all freshman and sophomore level courses taught by the departments.
Location: Dana Hall 208
Phone: 860.768.4306

Schedule: Math and Physics Tutoring Lab Hours 

Vampire Tutoring for Math -
Late night math tutors! No appointment necessary. Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30 –11:30 p.m. in Mortensen Library. For math courses: 110, 114, 140, 144, 145, 221W.

Hillyer Academic Strategies Center - offers Hillyer students one-on-one assistance with academic strategies applicable to their Hillyer studies. Assistance in strategies includes time management; note taking; text reading and annotating; test taking; preparation, completion of answers, and analysis of errors; and writing essay exams and completing research assignments. The center is staffed by full-time professionals and peer tutors.
Location: Hillyer 140
Phone: 860.768.5013

Chemistry Tutors - Students in Chemistry courses: CH 110, 111, 114, 136, 230-231 may use tutors in BC 254 (ISET) during scheduled hours. No appointment is necessary.
Location: BC 254 (ISET)
Phone: 860.768.4537
FAX: 860.768.5002
Schedule: Chemistry Tutors

Computer Science Tutoring Lab - staffed by full-time faculty and upper-class majors in the department and offers tutoring on nearly all freshman and sophomore level courses taught by the department.
Location: Dana Hall 230
Phone: 860.768.4306
Schedule: Computer Science Tutoring Lab Hours

Student-Athletes Support Services - The Athletics Counseling Office provides support services to ensure each student-athlete's personal and academic success. Participation in athletics is important, but it represents only one aspect of the individual's college experience. Academic achievement is of prime concern. Since student-athletes are required to commit a large percentage of their time to athletics, the University realizes the need for a support program to assist student-athletes in achieving their individual, academic, personal and athletic goals. The program consists of the following: study hall, tutors, progress notes, academic recognition awards; counseling and academic sports related workshops.
Location: Sports Center A228
Phone: 860.768.4657