Accounts Payable FAQ
Q: How much is the mileage reimbursement?
- January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017
- $0.535 cents per mile for business miles drive
- $0.17 cents per mile driven for moving purposes
- January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018
- $0.545 cents per mile for business miles drive
- $0.18 cents per mile driven for moving purposes
Q: When are checks processed in Accounts Payable?
- Checks are processed every Tuesday and Friday.
Q: How long does it take for a check to be cut?
- Accounts Payable usually requires at least 10 business days to ensure checks are audited and processed accurately and completely. There is an additional review process for checks over $10,000, which may take an additional 1–2 days.
Q: Why has an Order for Check (“OFC”) or Travel and Expense Voucher (“TEV”) been returned unprocessed?
Some of the reasons an OFC or TEV may be returned include:
- Insufficient business purpose
- Insufficient documentation
- Insufficient funds
- No signature, or no supervisor signature
- Accounting distribution is not completed properly
- Expense is considered compensation, payment must go through Payroll
- Expense is a vendor payment that must be requested through a Purchase Order
- Commuting expenses are included in request; commuting miles must be deducted from mileage
- Request includes expenses that are unallowed per University policy
- Request includes alcohol purchases that are not identified as for donor relations or pre-approved
- Request includes gas reimbursement for a personal vehicle; reimbursement for personal vehicle use must be as a mileage reimbursement
- TEV does not appear to include all travel expenses
Q: Why don’t we pay tax?
- The University of Hartford is a tax-exempt institution.
Q: What does Non-Sufficient Funds (“NSF”) mean?
- NSF means that there are not enough funds in a particular budget line for a payment request to be processed. Prior to sending a payment request, the department should check to ensure enough funds are available in the appropriate budget line. For example, if an OFC for $50 is submitted, and the budget line only has $15 available, the OFC may be returned to the department or delayed until a budget revision has been completed.