Barney School of Business
Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation
Whether you’re starting your career, switching your career, or advancing your career, the Barney School's powerful MSAT program will maximize your advancement opportunities in high-paying and fast-growing fields like professional accounting or taxation in industry, public accounting, government, or not-for-profit organizations.
Why EARN YOUR MSAT at the Barney School?
- Two tracks are available: Financial and Assurance Services, and Taxation.
- Meet your 150-hour CPA licensing requirement while earning the MSAT degree: graduates of the program are qualified to take the CPA and CMA examinations.
- Flexible and shorter schedule: 100% online. Each course is only seven weeks long, so you can finish a 10-course degree in less than one year.
- The majority of our students receive a GMAT waiver. Find out how easy it is to request a waiver.
- 30 credits (10 courses)
- 100% online
- Part-time or full-time options available
- Fall, spring, and summer start
- Rolling admission
- Affordable tuition
- Course catalog
- Tuition Discount for Educational Partners
Questions? Email: email@example.com
The Barney School’s Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation program provides you with the high-quality coursework necessary to meet the 150-hour CPA licensing requirement. Our program is uniquely designed for two tracks in Financial and Assurance Services, and Taxation:
- To give you an in-depth understanding of accounting and taxation theories.
- To introduce the application of analytical tools for planning, controlling, and decision-making purposes.
Learn online in seven-week courses from faculty who have a wealth of knowledge in the field. Our rolling admission process allows new students to choose one of six start dates throughout the year. Earn your MSAT full time in less than one year or part time at your own pace.
Who Should Apply
- Working professionals who seek to develop or advance a career in professional accounting or taxation in industry, public accounting, government, or not-for-profit organizations.
- Recent college graduates with undergraduate degrees in accounting who would like to pursue a fifth year of in-depth study in accounting and taxation.
- Students with non-accounting or non-business undergraduate degrees who seek a career change in areas like forensics, fraud, and mergers and acquisitions.
The Barney School of Business has been a leader in advanced business education for more than 60 years. Our long-standing history and success in the area of business education have made us among the 5 percent of business schools in the world that are AACSB accredited.
Our faculty are academic and industry leaders in their fields. They focus on bringing concepts and material that reflect the fast-changing business world in the areas of auditing, business law, corporate taxation, financial analysis, and managerial accounting.
You will have the opportunity to expand your network with our strong business connections regionally, nationally, and globally. Our faculty also invite speakers from not only the Big Four accounting firms, but also other potential employers from financial service organizations to talk about cutting-edge business topics.
Degree requirements normally constitute 30 credit hours of specified courses, including three core courses, four track courses, and three elective courses selected from any discipline within the Barney School. The specific required and elective courses are outlined below.
For more information, and to see a complete list of degree requirements, visit the Course Catalog.
- Two semesters of introductory accounting
- Financial Reporting Theory I-II-III
- Cost Management
- Federal Income Tax Concepts
- Auditing Concepts and Problems
Students without the prerequisites will complete the courses as part of the program. Undergraduate courses must be taken at an institution that grants a baccalaureate degree in accounting and is regionally accredited.
This track is for students interested in public financial reporting and assurance services functions. It includes three core accounting classes, three electives, and:
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Advanced Auditing
- Accounting Control Systems
- Seminar in Contemporary Accounting
This track is for students who are interested in careers in taxation, both within public accounting and in industry. It includes three core accounting classes, three electives, and:
- Advanced Taxation of Pass-through Entities
- Advanced Corporate Taxation
- Research in Taxation
- Seminar in Taxation
If you are seeking to obtain foundational accounting education to improve your knowledge of accounting, this program is right for you! This is the perfect option for those with an undergraduate degree in a business discipline other than accounting or for a non-business major who wishes to become a CPA.
Upon completion of the Accounting Certificate Program, you can request admission to the MSAT or the Dual MSAT/MBA program by contacting the program manager. You will not be required to reapply.
Students who hold a J.D. or a master's degree or higher from an appropriately accredited university or have passed the CPA Examination may apply for admission to our tax certificate program.
Study in this program allows you to enhance and expand your expertise in specific areas of taxation. The taxation certificate requires that you have a basic undergraduate taxation course, or an equivalent graduate level course, as a prerequisite, followed by completion of four graduate tax courses.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), job prospects for accountants and auditors will increase by 10% between 2016 and 2026, resulting in roughly 140,000 jobs. Accounting jobs should remain in high demand due to a continuing need for qualified experts to handle complex financial and tax-related matters for organizations and individual clients. In the meantime, demand for new tax practitioners regularly exceeds the number of students available for placement, particularly for the Big Four accounting firms.
Although candidates need a bachelor’s degree for most accounting jobs, the BLS notes that many employers prefer to hire candidates with a master’s degree in accounting or a related field. The master’s degree can also help employees advance in their careers and earn significantly more than those with a bachelor’s degree alone.
Potential career paths and average annual earnings for graduates of the MSAT include:
- $73,276, Accounting Manager
- $79,376, Sr. Tax Analyst
- $100,860, Corporate Controller
We see a great number of our MSAT graduates working with accounting firms such as:
- Fiondella Milone & LaSaracina
- Grant Thornton
Craig Kazemekas '19, MSAT'20
Tax consultant at Deloitte,
I chose UHart because the accounting program is one of the best in the state. Also, the location is great, since Connecticut is home to so many corporate offices and insurance companies.
Meet the Accounting and Taxation Department
Additional Admission Information
- An online application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 for domestic applicants
- Official transcripts for all collegiate level coursework
- A letter of intent as specified in the application form
- Current resume
- Official results of the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) forwarded to the University of Hartford using school code XBB-NR -73.
GMAT waivers are available for domestic applicants who meet any of the following criteria:
- Passed the CPA, CMA, EA, or state Bar Exam
- Hold a master’s degree or higher in any discipline from an appropriately accredited institution
- Hold an undergraduate degree from an AACSB school achieving at least a 3.3 GPA overall and in their major
- Hold an accounting certificate from the Barney School of Business achieving at least a 3.3 GPA overall
- Experienced-based GMAT waivers are granted only in exceptional cases to domestic applicants with five to seven years of U.S. based financial analytical experience above the entry level. The experience-based waiver request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
|Per Credit Rate|
|Accounting and Taxation
For more information regarding the MSAT program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860.768.5003.