Barney School of Business
Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation
Earn your Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation (MSAT) full-time in as few as seven months or part-time at your own pace and meet the 150-hour CPA licensing requirement.
Learn online in seven-week courses from full-time resident faculty and adjunct faculty who have a wealth of knowledge in the field. Our rolling admissions process allows new students to choose one of six start dates.
The MSAT program is designed for students who seek to develop or advance a career in professional accounting or taxation in industry, public accounting, government, or not-for-profit organizations.
Questions about the program? Contact us at email@example.com.
The degree meets the needs of students with undergraduate degrees in accounting who are seeking a fifth year of study to meet CPA licensing requirements, as well as those with non-accounting or non-business undergraduate degrees. You can select from a tax or financial assurance track.
For more information, and to see a complete list of degree requirements, visit the Course Catalog.
- Two semesters of introductory accounting
- Financial Reporting Theory I-II-III
- Cost Management
- Federal Income Tax Concepts
- Auditing Concepts and Problems
Students without the prerequisites will complete the courses as part of the program. Undergraduate courses must be taken at an institution that grants a baccalaureate degree in accounting and is regionally accredited.
This track is for students interested in public financial reporting and assurance services functions. It includes three core accounting classes, three electives, and:
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Advanced Auditing
- Accounting Control Systems
- Seminar in Contemporary Accounting
This track is for students who are interested in careers in taxation, both within public accounting and in industry. It includes three core accounting classes, three electives, and:
- Advanced Taxation of Pass-through Entities
- Advanced Corporate Taxation
- Research in Taxation
- Seminar in Taxation
If you are seeking to obtain foundational accounting education to improve your knowledge of accounting, this program is right for you! This is the perfect option for those with an undergraduate degree in a business discipline other than accounting or a nonbusiness major who wish to become a CPA.
Upon completion of the Accounting Certificate Program, you can request admission to the MSAT or the Dual MSAT/MBA program by contacting the program manager. You will not be required to reapply.
Students who hold a J.D. or a master's degree or higher from an appropriately accredited university or have passed the CPA Examination may apply for admission to our tax certificate program.
Study in this program allows you to enhance and expand your expertise in specific areas of taxation. The taxation certificate requires that you have a basic undergraduate taxation course, or an equivalent graduate level course, as a prerequisite, followed by completion of four graduate tax courses.
Additional Admission Information
- An online application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 for domestic applicants
- Official transcripts for all collegiate level coursework
- A letter of intent as specified in the application form
- Current resume
- Official results of the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) forwarded to the University of Hartford using school code XBB-NR -73.
GMAT waivers are available for domestic applicants who meet any of the following criteria:
- Passed the CPA, CMA, EA or state Bar Exam
- Hold a master’s degree or higher in any discipline from an appropriately accredited institution
- Hold an undergraduate degree from an AACSB school achieving at least a 3.3 GPA overall and in their major
- Hold an accounting certificate from the Barney School of Business achieving at least a 3.3 GPA overall
- Experienced-based GMAT waivers are granted only in exceptional cases to domestic applicants with 5 – 7 years of U.S. based financial analytical experience above the entry-level. The experience-based waiver request will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
|Per Credit Rate|
|Accounting and Taxation
For more information regarding the MSAT program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 860.768.5003.