Healthy Hawks

Learn more about UHart's response to COVID-19:

We are here to help!

Frequently Asked Questions

As an international student, we are sure you have a lot of questions about the application process, visa requirements, and what life at UHart will be like. Here are the answers to our most asked questions. 

If you can't find an answer to your questions, please contact us at

Application Process | Scholarships and Fees | English Language Institute | Academics | Transfer Students | SAT/ACT | International Students I Location I Housing

Application Process

How do I apply to the University?

Please follow our online instructions to learn how to apply. We require your academic records and your application to provide you with an admission decision. You are required to also prove your English language ability and submit proof of financial support to complete your admission.

Can I be considered for admission on the basis of an electronic copy of my transcripts/records?

We can review your application with an electronic copy of your academic records but we require the official copy to be mailed to our office before you begin your studies.

How can I check the status of my application?

Send an email to with a request for an application update. Please include your name and admission ID (this starts with a G) in the subject of your email.

When will I find out if I am accepted?

For the majority of our programs, we aim to review your application within 2 weeks of receiving your COMPLETED application (the application itself and all of your academic records). We will let you know of your admission decision by email, so please be sure you have given us your correct personal email address.

**If you are applying as a Music, Fine or Performing arts student you will need to share your academic record and your demonstrate your specific talent (Music-Audition, Fine Arts-Art Portfolio or Performing Arts-Audition). First we will provide you with an indication that you have met the Academic requirements for admission (two to three weeks). We will then follow with the results of your performance review (Last week of February or 1st week of March).


Why haven't I heard anything about my application?

Please make sure you have submitted your complete application and all of your academic records from each previous high school or college you have attended, including any university or college in the US or any country where you took classes? Once we receive all of your academic records we can review your application. If you have attended studies beyond High/Secondary School you are required to provide an official record of this study. If you chose not to include this information you will be denied admission.

Will I be accepted?

This will be determined after a thorough review of your complete academic record. If your record is above average and you meet all the other requirements for your particular degree you will be offered admission.

Will I be accepted if I do not pass the English language requirement?

If you are unable to reach the required minimum English Testing requirements you have the option of receiving an offer of conditional admission. This offer of admission will require you to begin your studies in the English Language Institute (ELI). Learn more about our English language requirement here.

Where do I send my academic records?

International Admission 
FASB University of Hartford
200 Bloomfield Ave
West Hartford, CT 06117


T: 1.860.768.4981

I submitted my application and academic records. What do I do next?

  • Please check the application instructions page for a full list of requirements.
  • Are you applying as a first year or transfer student? The requirements differ. So please take care to include all of the required documents.
  • You can begin working on your Proof of Financial Support. This document is required before you can receive your Form I-20.
  • If English is not your native language you are required to prove your English language ability through an English Test (TOEFL or IELTS). 


Can I get a scholarship?

We consider all international undergraduate students for scholarship. The amount ranges from $10,000-$20,000. And up to full tuition (Music, Art, Dance, and Athletics). Learn more here.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

We consider all international undergraduate students (except for Music, Art, Dance, and Athletics applicants) for our International Scholarship ($6,000-$16,000) based on their academic merit. There is no separate scholarship application for the International Scholarship. Music, Art, Dance, and Athletics students please refer to the specific application requirements to be considered for scholarship. Read more here.

What are your fees?

Our total cost of attendance/fees are listed on our website.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

If you will be attending the University on an active (NOT expired) visa, you will be considered for a talent/merit based scholarship. You will not be considered for any financial aid on the basis of financial need.

If you are considered an *eligible non-citizen you should apply for admission and financial aid for US Citizens. To learn if you qualify as an eligible non-citizen please click here.<LINK>


English Requirements

What is your English language requirement?

If you are unable to reach the required minimum English Testing requirements you have the option of receiving an offer of conditional admission. This offer of admission will require you to begin your studies in the English Language Institute (ELI).

Small classes and a dedicated teachers will help you develop the skills necessary to be successful in the University’ small interactive classes. This program follows a semester schedule and will allow you to demonstrate your improving English through several methods of evaluation.

Successfully completing the advanced level of ELI will allow you to begin your studies with no further testing.

English Language Testing–Minimum Scores

Undergraduate all programs:

  • TOEFL 79 IBT
  • IELTS 6.0
  • Pearsons 52

Alternative methods for proving English proficiency can be found online.


Will I be accepted if I do not pass the English language requirement?

If you are unable to reach the required minimum English Testing requirements you have the option of receiving an offer of conditional admission. This offer of admission will require you to begin your studies in the English Language Institute (ELI). Learn more about our English language requirement here.

Which English tests do you accept?

  • TOEFL 79 IBT
  • IELTS 6.0
  • Pearsons 52 


How many degree programs do you have?

Over 100 degree programs waiting for you to develop the skills and abilities you need to begin your career.

What will my professors be like?

You will study with experienced professors, 90% of the teaching faculty hold the highest degree available in their academic discipline. 80% of our full time faculty have studied, taught or conducted research outside of the United States.

How does the University rank?

We are ranked one of the best Regional Universities in the Northeast (US News & World Report). Our degree programs hold the highest levels of accreditation available in the US. Our College of Engineering, Technology, and Architecture is accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET). Our Barney School of Business is one of 600 business schools worldwide accredited by the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

Transfer Students

How many credits can I transfer?

We accept transfer credits that meet the following requirements:

  • Credits were earned at a regionally accredited university or college.
  • The course was a 100 level or higher course (i.e. ENG 101 Freshman Composition NOT ENG 098 Preparing for College Writing).
  • The student earned a C- or higher in the course.
  • The course covered material that is similar to subject matter offered at the University of Hartford.
  • We have received an official transcript from the institution at which the course was taken.
  • We will accept coursework done online as long as the student can provide an official transcript from an accredited institution; the exception is that we cannot accept online lab science coursework.
  • Computer courses are evaluated on their content to determine transferability. We will not accept computer courses that are more than ten years old.

How can I receive credit for IB or AP classes?

International Baccalaureate - No specific score required for admission. Diploma holders will be offered admission. An applicant's examination results will determine their eligibility for credit. Generally speaking, the higher the score the more credit the student will earn. No credit is awarded for Subsidiary level subjects.

Advanced Placement - Students scoring 3 and above will be considered for credit in their respective subject area.


SAT/ACT Testing

Do you require the SAT or ACT?

We do not require these scores for admission purposes but they may help to increase the strength of your record. In some cases, students who fall below our admission standard have gained admission as a result of a good score on these exams. Submitting these scores can also strengthen your candidacy for scholarship so we do encourage you to submit your scores if you have taken these exams.

What are the University of Hartford's SAT and ACT school codes?

3436 for the SAT and 0606 for the ACT.

International Students

How many other international students study at Hartford?

We have over 600 international students studying with us. You will join talented students from around the world. Students from over 60 countries choose to study at Hartford.

What support do you offer international students?

You will study with people who care about your success. International students are welcomed and assisted by the caring staff at the International Center. Starting with an International Student Orientation program upon your arrival to the University, we welcome you to the University and the surrounding environment.


Can I speak with an international student or an alum before I apply?

Yes! Our International Student Ambassadors work with the International Admission Office to answer student questions. You can connect with an Ambassador (see contact info above on this page) or send us an email to connect with one of our alumni.

Location/Getting to know Hartford

What's the campus like and where is Hartford?

Our beautiful residential campus is located in West Hartford, a residential area near the City of Hartford, Connecticut (7km). Hartford is located equidistant (150km) from the cities of Boston and New York. West Hartford was recently named one of the top ten cities to live in the US for the next decade. You can visit many shops, eateries and museums, or visit beautiful historical sites in and around Hartford.

How big is the University?

You will not get lost in the crowd. Size = 5301 Undergraduate (Bachelor Degree) and 1634 Graduate (Master/Doctoral Degree students). Average class size at the University is 22 students.

Can I visit the University before I apply?

Yes! You can spend the night on-campus or you can come just for the day, to tour the campus and meet with a counselor. We encourage you to come visit us in person or take our virtual tour to explore our beautiful campus.


Where can I live?

About 85 percent of first-year students live on campus. We suggest living on campus as a way to make friends with students from the U.S. and other parts of the world. Living on campus will also make it easier to become a part of clubs and organizations, which will ease your transition to the University.

We can offer you the opportunity to live on campus during International Student Orientation at no additional charge. We can greet you at the airport or train/bus station on the scheduled international student arrival day and bring you to campus to check in to your on-campus housing. Meals will be provided during orientation for students who live on campus during the orientation program.

Should I live on-campus or off-campus?

80% of our students live on the University campus. You can chose to live on-campus or off-campus, from your first year at the University. Living on-campus is a great way to meet other students and make friends with your American classmates, and is more convenient to get to your classes. Living off Campus may be a quieter environment, you may be able to share your living costs, or have a private bedroom. You may have to commute to your classes by public transportation. We can help you decide which option is better for you!

Start your UHart journey today. Take the next step.