Registration Process
Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Registration Process

Advanced registration for spring courses usually occurs in October and for fall courses occurs in April (the exact period can be found in the current schedule of classes).

Registration Checklist

  1. UIS Requirements: Each semester you should review your status with UIS courses. You must take four different courses from the five UIS categories (UISC, UISS, UISA, UIST). All Barney Students must have an UISA. **Barney students are not allowed to take UISS 155** Transfer Students with 15 credits should take three UIS courses, 30 credits take two UIS courses, with 45 credits take one UIS course and with 60+ credits, it is not necessary to take any.

BAR Classes: Each semester you should review your status with BAR classes. You must take BAR 110 and Bar 111 (freshmen), and BAR 211 (sophomores). If you missed one or more due to transfer or change of major, you should register for the appropriate level for your class standing and all those missed.

  1. Prerequisites: Verify that you have met all of the necessary prerequisites for the courses you have selected.

  2. Holds: Verify that you have no holds on your account (Health Services, Billing, Admissions, etc.)

  3. Courses in Major: When you reach junior year you should discuss your major courses with a faculty advisor. This includes planning for your 200 hour required internship (see page 16 for additional information). Contact them by phone or email to make an appointment.

  4. Single Semester Offering: Verify if any of your classes are only offered in the fall or spring semester.

How to Register

The Registrars Office will send you a registration date each semester based on your credits earned. You may register on or after that date. Once you have determined a tentative schedule you may register one of three ways.

  1. You may get your courses approved in advance of your registration date by your faculty advisor. You will then be issued a personal identification number (PIN) to register online using the Self-Service Center.

  2. You may register directly by making an appointment with your faculty advisor on or soon after your registration date.

  3. You may complete a registration form and have it signed by your faculty advisor. That form would need to be submitted to the Student Administrative Services Center (SASC) on the second floor of the Computer and Administration building.

Closed/Full Classes

When you find that a class is closed, your first option is to select another section of the course that fits in your schedule. If this is not possible, you should select another course from your list of options. Remember, required courses should be completed in sequence.

The Override Form

The override form should be used when the class you wish to attend is filled to capacity and you can not find an alternative section or course to take. Approval is given at the discretion of the instructor. The override form must be signed by the instructor of the class and you must have an advisor approved drop/add form. Both forms must be taken to the Registrars Office.

The Add-Drop Process

You may find it necessary to change a course after you have set up your schedule. With your PIN number, you can make these changes online using the Self-Service Center up until the start of the semester. After that point, all add/drops would have to be done using a Change of Program Form (frequently referred to as an Add/Drop form.) All changes should be approved by an advisor in the Office of Academic Services. Please keep in mind that you should not make changes to your schedule without good reason. If you change your schedule after the semester has started, you run the risk of missing essential material. Following are some rules to remember about the Drop/Add process:


  1. During the first week of classes, adding a course requires only an advisors signature. During the second week, both an advisor and the instructor offering the course must approve the add. During the third week, an advisor, the instructor offering the course and the Dean of the college offering the course must approve the add.

Dropping (Withdrawal

  1. You may drop a class during the first ten weeks of the semester with the signature of an advisor in the Office of Academic Services. This is one of the dates you need to monitor. Courses dropped during the first three weeks will not appear on your transcript. Courses dropped during weeks four through ten will appear on your transcript with the letter W beside them.

  2. You may not drop a class after the tenth week unless you have a personal or medical emergency. Such withdrawals require sufficient documentation, your advisors recommendation and the approval of the Dean of the Barney School.

  3. You are not automatically dropped from a course if you stop going to class. Instead, you may receive a grade F for that course. To drop a course, you must complete an Add/Drop form.

  4. You must carry at least twelve credits each semester to remain a full-time student. If you drop below 12 credits you may lose your full financial aid benefits. You should contact the Office of Financial Aid (768-4296) to discuss this.

  5. Students not holding United States Citizenship must carry at least twelve credits each semester to meet visa obligations.

Pass/No Pass

  1. You can change to Pass/ No Pass status until the tenth week of classes.

  2. Only unrestricted or non-business electives may be taken as Pass/ No Pass. All required business and Arts & Science classes must be taken for a letter grade.