MFA, Printmaking, University of Wisconsin-Madison
BA, Studio Arts, Bethany College
Jim Lee has taught at the Hartford Art School since 1982. Landscape is at the core of his work, often beginning with onsite drawings and then developing into color woodcut prints and artists’ books. Recent work has been based on locations in Maine and Nova Scotia, Canada. In 2013 he spent a six-week residency in the northwest of Ireland at the Ballinglen Art Foundation, Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. In 1978 he established Blue Moon Press, a private press occasionally issuing hand-printed letterpress books that make use of his woodcuts. In 2009 he published A’tugwaqan: Three Mi’kmaq Indian Stories.
- The Art of the Book, National Exhibition of Artists’ Books, Sebastopol Center for the Arts, California, 2016 (Juror’s Honorable Mention)
- Imprint One 2016, National Invitational Print Biennial, VAM Gallery, Austin, Texas
- Myths & Legends- Biennial International Artists’ Book Show, A6 Gallery, Bend Ore., 2015 (Best in Show Award)
- Printmaking Now: 10th Annual National Juried Exhibition, Imago Foundation for the Arts, Warren, R.I., 2015 (Award)
- Hand Pulled: The Current Practice in Printmaking, OnSite: Brooklyn, N.Y., 2015
- IPCNY-New Prints 2014, Christies Auction House, New York, N.Y.
- The Boston Printmakers North American Print Biennial, 2013.
- Ocean/Night: Hobson, Lee, Schanilec, UW-Stevens Point, Wisc., 2011
- 2nd Qijang International Print Festival, Chongqing, Peoples’ Republic of China, 2009
- Stanford University, 2013
- University of San Francisco, 2011
- The Boston Athenaeum, 2010
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2010
- Bibliotheca Liborium Artificem, Sydney, Australia, 2010
- The Guangdong Museum of Fine Arts-Chongqing, China, 2009