MFA, Painting, University of New Mexico
MA, Painting, University of New Mexico
BFA, Painting, Maryland Institute College of Art
Carol Padberg is an artist and the founder/director of the Interdisciplinary MFA at the Hartford Art School, University of Hartford. For the past 25 years Carol Padberg’s art has been exhibited in a variety of settings, from museums to community centers in Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America. Currently she is serving as the KNOX Community Gardens' Artist-in-Residence in Hartford.
Padberg’s recent works use textiles and community engagement to address ecology and public space. Her collaborative, intergenerational art collective, The Garden Redux, has produced a mobile studio road trip to honor small-scale farmers; a letterpress familyfesto; clothing for climate change marches; hotbeds to extend urban growing seasons; a silkscreened map of community gardens in Hartford; and the Adinkra Gate at Mt. Moriah Garden in Hartford’s North End.
Carol's work has been the subject of exhibitions at the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts (1999) and the New Britain Museum of American Art (2011). Her projects have been featured as part of the programming at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, Minn. (1996), the Museum of Modern Art in New York (2012), and an opening night presentation at the Creative Time Summit in the Venice Biennale (2015).
- Garden Redux Harvests, AETNA Art Gallery, AETNA Corporate Headquarters, Hartford, Conn.
- NEW/NOW Interactive Crazy Quilts by Carol Padberg, New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, Conn.
- Woven Code, Cap Dany A La Cova De Les Cultures, Barcelona, Spain 2008
- Face Value, Real Art Ways, Hartford, Conn.
- Weir Farm Residency Exhibition,Weir Farm National Park, Wilton, Conn.
- Valent Perch, Paesaggio at 100 Pearl Street, Hartford, Conn.
- Parallel-O-Gram, Fatric Bewong and Carol Padberg, Alliance Française, Kumasi, Ghana
- Augmented/Obstructed: Carol Padberg and Andy Deck, Library, Science Commission at Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University, New Haven, Conn.
- Something Blue, Artspace New Haven, New Haven, Conn.
- Higher Learning, City University of New York, Lehman College, curated by Dannielle Tegeder
- Artemisia at 40, Bridgeport Art Center, Chicago, Ill.
- Now and Then—an Exhibition of Artist Fellowship recipients, The Gallery at Constitution Plaza, Hartford, Conn.
- Interplay: Mixed Media Digital Arts, Cotuit Center for the Arts, curated by Mary Doyle, Cotuit, Massachusetts
- The Mildred Complex(ity), Century of the Child, Museum of Modern Art, New York, N.Y.
- Same As It Ever Was, ATOM Space, Hartford Conn.
- Chain Letter, Samson Projects, Boston, Mass.
- Library Science, Library Project with Andy Deck , Yale Sterling Memorial Library, and Art Space, New Haven, curated by Rachel Gugelberger, 2011
- Mind Sets, Haskins Labs, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Young Artists And Writers Exhibition, World Financial Center, New York, N.Y.
- Type O, McAninch Art Center, College of DuPage, Glen Elyn, Illinois
- 48th Annual Members’ Exhibition, Gallery on the Green, Canton, Conn.
- Long Weekend, La Motta Fine Arts, Hartford, Conn.
- Paint!, Hans Weiss NewSpace Gallery, Manchester, Conn.
- Flat File, Artspace New Haven, New Haven, Conn. (ongoing )
- Postcards from the Edge, James Cohan Gallery, New York, N.Y.
- Open Studio Exhibition, Rochefort-en-Terre Residency, Chateau and Museum, Rochefort-en-Terre, France
- Summer Show, Kathryn Markel Fine Arts, New York, N.Y.
- Greater Hartford Art Council 2007 Fellowship Exhibition, Paesaggio at 100 Pearl Street, Hartford, Conn.
- NOMAD Curated by Hiro Fukawa and Gabriela Galarza Block, Design Center, Hartford, Conn.
- Juried Members’ Exhibition, juried by Zina Davis, Gallery Director, Joseloff Gallery, at the New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, Conn.
- Summer Group Show, Kiana Malekzadeh Gallery, New York, N.Y.
- Found and Recycled, Appleton Art Center, Appleton Wis.
- Postcards from the Edge, Brent Sikkema Gallery, New York, N.Y.
- KNOX Foundation, Hartford, Connecticut , Artist-in-Residence, working with community gardeners, since 2013
- Foundation for Contemporary Art, Accra, Ghana, Seminar on Professional Practices, 2010
- Kokrobitey Institute, Greater Accra, Ghana, Sustainable Studio Course, 2012, 2014
- Art and Community Impact Grant ($9,700), Connecticut Office of the Arts
- Ephemeral Art in the Landscape: 2015 International Residency and Biennial($2,200 Artist’s Project Grant) I-Park, East Haddam, Conn., BioCloth Commission
- Creative Placemaking Artist Leadership Matching Grant with the Knox Foundation ($20,000), Connecticut Office of the Arts
- Featured Artist of the Year, Greater Hartford Arts Council
- Creative Placemaking Artist Leadership Grant for Public Art into Community Gardens ($8,000), Connecticut Office of the Arts
- Individual Artist Fellowship in Crafts, Connecticut Office of the Arts
- Faculty International Research Grant, University of Hartford, Hartford, Conn.,
- Library Science, Sterling Memorial Library Commission, Yale University, New Haven, Conn., with financial support from the National Endowment for the Arts
- International Center Grant, University of Hartford, Hartford, Conn.
- Laura B. Johnson Women’s Leadership Fellowship, University of Hartford, Hartford, Conn.
- Sabbatical Research in Ghana, West Africa, University of Hartford, Hartford, Conn.,
- Summer Stipend for Artistic Activity and Research, University of Hartford, Hartford, Conn.
- Greenberg Fellowship, University of Hartford, Hartford, Conn.
- Greater Hartford Arts Council, Individual Artist Fellowship, Hartford, Conn.