Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies
Hillyer College seeks to graduate students who have learned how to read and write critically and who have learned how to examine the world around them through the eyes of the artist, the historian, the mathematician, the natural scientist and the social scientist. The philosophy of Hillyer College is to take students where they are and to prepare them for where they want to be next.
Required credits: 60
- Academic Strategies – 2 courses (3 credits)
- English – 4 courses (12 credits)
- Mathematics* – 1 or 2 courses as determined by initial mathematics placement (3 - 6 credits)
- Science – 1 course (4 credits)
- History* – 2 courses (6 credits)
- Social Sciences* – 2 courses in the same discipline (6 credits)
- Humanities* – 2 courses (6 credits)
- Electives* – 6 or 7 courses (17 - 20 credits) as a result of mathematics courses required
* Program Concentrations are available within Hillyer College and prepare students to continue their studies in their chosen field. Program concentrations have specific courses required for the concentration however the total number of credits remains at 60. Additional requirements, such as grade point average and National standardized testing may be required depending on the chosen program concentration.
Learning Outcomes for the AA in Liberal Studies
- The students will develop skills necessary for academic success in college.
- Students will understand basic science concepts.
- Students will learn to develop and express ideas effectively in writing.
- Students will learn the requisite algebraic skills to communicate and comprehend effectively using mathematics where appropriate.