Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Residential Living Requirement


Living on campus is an important part of your University of Hartford educational experience. Studies nationally have shown that college students who live on campus have a better grade point average, are more involved in campus activities, take full advantage of campus resources, and are more likely to graduate than those who live off campus. Learning to embrace and to be active within your community—and to be successful in life—requires the acquisition of skills and abilities that extend far beyond the learning that takes place in the classroom. The University of Hartford is committed to providing you with rich opportunities to grow both intellectually and socially. This includes making connections with students whose life experiences are different than your own, actively participating in your residential community, learning how to appropriately deal with conflict, and living according to the shared values of our University community. It is our philosophy and expectation that all enrolled full-time first- and second-year students who do not qualify for an exception as detailed below live in University housing and participate in a University-sponsored meal plan.


All full-time undergraduate students must live in on-campus housing and participate in a meal plan during their first two years at the University, barring exceptions listed below.


Exceptions to the Residential Living Requirement are made for students who meet at least one of the following criteria:

  1. Student is studying abroad for the semester
  2. Student is married and living with spouse
  3. Student has been granted commuter status (student's permanent address—as used for tax purposes—is within 30 miles of the University’s mailing address and student is living with parent(s) at this address
  4. Student is 23 years of age or older
  5. Student has received an exception from the Director of Residential Life due to extenuating circumstances. Requests for such an exception must be made no later than six weeks prior to the start of the semester for which the exception is sought. 

International students enrolled through the University Pathway program are required to live on campus. International students enrolled through other programs should work directly with their admissions representative on specific University housing options and requirements.

How to apply for an exception: 
Please email Director for Residential Life, Michael Malone at

Enforcement and Penalties

Students who do not follow the guidelines of the Residential Living Requirement will be in violation of the Code of Student Conduct and will face sanctions as described in the Code. Students not granted an exception will be charged standard pricing for room and board as part of our routine billing procedures.