Housing FAQ

We are here for you!

At the University of Hartford, we want to make move-in as smooth and safe as possible. We understand that you probably have a lot of questions with many things changing due to COVID-19. That's why we have gathered a list of frequently asked questions. 

If you don't see your question, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at or 

Application process and residency requirement

The University of Hartford has a residency policy that stipulates all students must live on campus for their first and second year. More information about that policy, including exceptions to the policy (e.g. living with immediate family members within 60 miles of campus) can be found here

We need a few things to grant exemptions to the residency requirement. Name, ID number, permanent address (living with parent/guardian), and reason for needing the exemption. 

Once we have this info we can process the request. If approved Financial Aid, Admissions, and the Residential Life Assignments Manager will be notified.

More information regarding residency requirements can be found here.

Below you will find links for the medical housing request process. All requests will be processed by the Dean of Students office.


Returning students should complete the Academic Year 2021-2022 Medical Housing Request (Current Students ONLY)

This form is due no later than April 9, 2021 to be considered for a medical housing placement during Room Selection 2021. Forms received after this date will be reviewed within 7 business days of submission and a medical placement will be considered on a space available basis.


Medical Housing Request Form - New & Transfer Students (Fall 2021-2022)

Room changes, cancellation, roommates, and more

Students who are remaining a student at the University, but would like to withdraw from on-campus housing should email the Office of Residential Life at from their University of Hartford email.

Refunds are effective the date a written request for withdrawal from housing is made to the Office of Residential Life. See the Residential Housing Refund Policy for more information. 


We encourage that all students complete a Roommate Agreement and attempt to talk through their conflict before requesting a room change. Your Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD) can help with this.

If you do decided to request a room change, the process opens around the third week of the fall and spring semesters.All Room Change Request forms are located in your account. You must log into Roompact to view and complete these forms. After you complete this request, your Resident Director (RD) will be in touch in 2-3 business days to discuss your request and talk about next steps.

If you have any questions, contact your Resident Director (RD) or Residential Life.

There is a required admission deposit for incoming full-time freshmen and transfer students. The tuition portion of the deposit is non-refundable ($100). The housing deposit is $150 and can be refunded if you cancel housing before July 1. 

As part of the housing application process, you can search for roommates.

If you are looking for a specific person, please note that they can only be found in the roommate search if they have started an application. Roommate requests must be mutual (both select and accept the other) in order to be potentially placed together.

Roommate requests can only be granted if both students are selected for Hawk Hall AND to the same RLC. Students should request their roommates prior to the Hawk Hall application deadline. Students will be notified of their roommate when assignments are officially sent out in late July/early August. 

A super single is a double room with only one occupant. A single is a single room with only one occupant.

You can find the costs of all our housing options here.

Students can only select housing units with the same number of spaces as the number of students in their group during room selection.

For example, groups of four can only select housing units comprised of four spaces (4 single rooms; 2 single rooms and 1 double room; or 2 double rooms). Buyouts are not guaranteed and only offered once the semester has begun, typically in September and January, if space allows.