Housing FAQ

We are here for you!

At the University of Hartford, we want to make move-in as smooth and safe as possible. We understand that you probably have a lot of questions with many things changing due to COVID-19. That's why we have gathered a list of frequently asked questions. 

If you don't see your question, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at or 

Application Process and Housing Requirement

The University of Hartford has a housing requirement that stipulates all students must live on campus for their first and second years. More information about this policy, including how to apply for an exception can be found here.


More information regarding residency requirements and exceptions can be found here.

Students apply for medical housing when completing the housing application. 
All requests will be processed by the Dean of Students office.

Returning student medical housing priority deadline: Mar. 11
First-year/transfer student medical housing priority deadline: June 1

Medical housing requests received after the priority deadlines will be reviewed within 10 business days of submission and a medical placement will be considered on a space available basis. Students will be contacted when a placement has been made, which will likely occur over the summer.

Room changes, cancellation, roommates, and more

Students who are remaining a student at the University, but would like to withdraw from on-campus housing should email the Office of Residential Life at from their University of Hartford email.

Refunds are effective the date a written request for withdrawal from housing is made to the Office of Residential Life. See the Residential Housing Refund Policy for more information. 


The room change process opens approximately two weeks after the first day of classes of each semester.  Students should contact their Resident Director for more information about housing options.  

New incoming students (defined as students who are enrolled at the University for their first semester) must pay a $150 Housing Deposit as part of the New Student Admission Deposit process. This one-time deposit provides incoming residential students access to the Housing Application. The $150 Housing Deposit will be applied as a credit to the resident’s student account. The $150 Housing Deposit is non-refundable for anyone who does not attend the University. 

First-year and transfer students will be able to view other first-year and transfer students' profiles on the Housing Portal and select a roommate beginning May 1. If you do not request a roommate, we will match you based on the profile questions you answer inside your housing application, so make sure you answer them accurately.

For transfer students, we work to house you with other transfer and returning students who have similar majors, interests, and responses to the profile questions inside the housing application. If you have a roommate you would like to request, you and your desired roommate must contact our office at to request to live together.

Yes! Students can preference a single or super single room on the Housing Application.  Single rooms are limited and first-year and transfer students are encouraged to apply early if they would like a single or super single room.

A super single is a double room with only one occupant. A single is a single room with only one occupant. The costs of single and super single rooms can be found here.

You can find the costs of all our housing options here.

A buy-out is when a resident pays an additional fee to not have a roommate in a double-occupancy housing unit. We do not plan on offering room buy-outs for the Fall 2022 semester due to the limited number of empty spaces in rooms, suites, and apartments.