More News for Students
- A Record 37 Students Graduate From University Honors Program
- Summer Dining Hours
- 'Howie's Pit Stop' -- Summer Snack Bar in the Commons!
- Stellar Students Honored at Commencement
Apply Now to Become an RFA!
Interested in joining the RFA team? RFA positions for the 2012-13 academic year are currently filled, but now is the time to start thinking about next year!
What is an RFA?
RFA stands for Resident Facility Assistant. RFAs are residential student leaders who work for Facilities and serve as a live-in extension of the department.
What does an RFA do?
RFAs help with residence hall preparation and shut-down, participate in a rotating on-call duty system to respond to facility needs campus-wide, provide direct service to maintenance issues during and after business hours (including but not limited to replacing light bulbs, replacing shades, unclogging drains, and boarding up broken windows), routinely inspect all residential and academic areas of campus, and work in the Facilities office answering phones and processing work requests.
How do I know if I'm eligible for an RFA position?
Successful candidates must have one year of experience living on the University of Hartford campus, maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout the course of employment, have and maintain a semester and cumulative GPA of at least 2.3/4.0, be financially eligible for Room and Board as compensation, have and maintain 'good standing' with the Office of Student Conduct and the Office of Residential Life, be available for employment for a full academic year, be able to effectively work with a diverse team, and be able to perform certain physical requirements.
When do I need to be available during the year to be an RFA? (All dates subject to change)
All RFAs for 2013-14 must participate in:
– Fall staff training and residence hall preparation from Monday, Aug. 19, 2013 at 9 a.m. through Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013
– Residence hall winter break shut-down through Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013 at 1 p.m.
– Winter training and residence hall preparation from Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 at 9 a.m. through Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2014
– Residence hall spring shut-down through 5 p.m. the Monday after Spring 2014 Commencement (May 19, 2014).
– Also, RFAs will be required to work 12 to 14 duty nights per semester (approx. nine to 10 weekdays and three to four weekends); be available for overnight duty for at least two weeknights (Sun–Thurs) per week beginning at 4:45 p.m.; be available for six to eight hours of project/building/office work during the regular business day (8 a.m.–5 p.m.); and attend biweekly staff meetings on Monday mornings at 7:45 a.m.
Applications for the 2013-14 academic year are now being accepted! Email Jessica Abbott at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application.
Interviews will be scheduled from Monday, Jan. 28, to Friday, Feb. 22, on a first-come, first-served basis. Candidates will be notified of hiring decisions on Friday, March 1, 2013. Successful candidates will have until Friday, March 8, to accept or decline the position. The entire process will be complete before Spring Break!
Plan ahead and don't miss out on this amazing opportunity. Benefits of the RFA position include: a stipend to cover room and board costs, priority class registration, early move-in, and an opportunity to learn a variety of "do-it-yourself" skills.
The RFA team consists of 18 students, and as of now there are six anticipated vacancies for the 2013-14 staff. Find us on Facebook!