More Campus News
- University to Host Preschool Holiday Party on Thursday
- Personality Class Project: Annual Debate on Wednesday
- Graduates Celebrate at Fall Commencement
- Hartt Adds a 'Nutty' Element to This Year's Nutcracker
Galin Presented with Academic Staff Excellence Award
(L-R) Joseph Voelker, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; Provost Sharon L. Vasquez; and Academic Staff Excellence Award recipient Donna Galin.
Donna Galin, office coordinator in the Department of English, College of Arts and Sciences (A&S), was presented with the second annual Academic Staff Excellence Award on Thursday, April 25.
Provost Sharon L. Vasquez surprised Galin with the award during a meeting of A&S faculty and staff in Auerbach Auditorium. Adding to the surprise, a number of Galin’s family members and friends filed into the auditorium for the award presentation. Galin said she was overwhelmed by the award and by the presence of her family and friends.
Galin was recognized for her demonstrated commitment to the University mission and its core values of integrity, creativity, and excellence. In their nomination letters to the selection panel, members of the University community highlighted Galin’s qualities of resourcefulness, efficiency, and contagious spirit in serving students, faculty, and staff.
In presenting the award to Galin, Provost Vasquez read comments from several of the letters that were submitted in support of Galin’s nomination:
– “She shows an amazing resourcefulness—an initiative, efficiency, and creativity that are breathtaking.”
– “She has a rich talent for binding the members of the department together, a talent that promotes harmony and a happy working environment for all, and she promotes the University’s mission and emphasis on community.”
– “The University is very fortunate to have someone of her exceptional caliber working so tirelessly to improve operations of its academic and administrative community.”
Created in 2011, the Academic Staff Excellence Award serves as one way to recognize the exemplary service and outstanding professional contributions of the University's academic staff, and their integral role in advancing the academic mission of the University of Hartford. The award comes with a $500 prize.
More information on the award can be found on the Office of the Provost website.