More News for Students
- Sheff to Speak at Fall Commencement
- Apply Now to Become an RFA!
- Apply for 'Express to Success' Spring Break Mentoring Program
- Schedule Your Final Exams at Learning Plus -- Friday Deadline!
Winterterm Course in Turkey
Submitted by Anthony T. Rauche
MUSIC and CULTURE of TURKEY
Winterterm, January 4–12, 2010
This multidisciplinary course seeks to explain and analyze the musical and cultural highlights of the Ottomans and modern-day Turkey, with a focus on Turkey as a cultural center between Europe and Asia, and will cover historic events that are central in Turkish political and social history. Among the music topics are classical Turkish music, Ottoman Empire music, Janissary military band music, and popular contemporary “arabesque” music. 3 credits (This course fulfills an AUCC requirement.)
The course highlights will include the Grand Bazaar that dates back to 1461, the classical city of Troy, Bursa, a city of commerce, the Gallipoli military site, Topkapi Palace, and a cruise up the Bosphorus through the Istanbul Strait. Cost is $3,085 and includes tuition, airfare, lodging, tours, entrance fees, travel/medical insurance and breakfast.
For more information, contact Profs. Anthony T. Rauche at email@example.com or Bruce Esposito at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information Sessions (with refreshments!) will take place on:
– Thursday, Oct. 22, from 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Auerbach 420, and
– Tuesday, Nov. 10, from 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Auerbach 420.