Interested in blending compassion and skill to help diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate patients with heart and lung disease? Our respiratory care program may be for you. Professionals in this field apply scientific knowledge and theory to practical clinical problems of respiratory disease.
Our program in respiratory care leads to the Bachelor of Science degree and eligibility for therapist credentialing. We prepare you with competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists.
Respiratory care practitioners
- evaluate patient data to determine the appropriateness of prescribed respiratory care;
- assemble and check all necessary equipment;
- conduct therapeutic procedures, modifying them as needed, and evaluate the outcome;
- maintain patient records and communicate relevant information to other members of the healthcare team; and
- assist the physician in performing special procedures in the clinical laboratory, procedure room, operating room, or emergency room.
The respiratory care practitioner is also qualified to assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of other respiratory care practitioners and the clinical training of respiratory care students.
Our program is open to qualified full- and part-time students. Freshmen and transfer students from associate's degree, registered respiratory care programs may apply.
Accreditation and State of Connecticut Certification Our respiratory care program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) and the State of Connecticut. Information about CoARC and the accreditation process is available at www.coarc.com. For program outcome data, go to www.coarc.com/47.html.