Emergency ClosingsIt is the policy of the University of Hartford to remain open during inclement weather unless doing so puts at risk the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff employees. When such weather conditions develop, the University will announce either a closing or delayed opening. Members of the University community should follow the below instructions to learn of any changes in schedule.
The University's Web Alert system will be activated if there is an advisory. A message will appear on the University's home page detailing the emergency announcement.
- From off-campus - 768-4100
- From campus residences - "0"
- From campus offices - "0" then select option 2
- Emergency and cancellation information will be prominently displayed on the front pages of www.hartford.edu and uhaweb.hartford.edu
- Emergency closing alerts will be sent via text message to those cell phone numbers registered with UHTXT, the University’s mass notification system. To sign up, go to www.hartford.edu/alert.
- WTIC - 1080 AM/96.5 FM
- WRCH - 100.5 FM
- WWUH - 91.3 FM
- WSAM - on campus only
- Local commercial television stations use automated systems with limited choices for colleges and universities. Currently, Channel 3 (WFSB) is the only area station that airs specific opening and closing times. We thus advise that you follow up on any announcements that you see on Channels 8 (WTNH) or 30 (WVIT) by checking www.hartford.edu or by calling 860.768.4100.
- Student Television News - on campus only
From on campus, call the ARAMARK hotline at ext. 3663 (FOOD) for updates on dining and convenience store hours during severe weather.
During inclement weather, the Sports Center will follow the operating schedule of the University. Call 768-5070 for the latest Sports Center hours.
What It All Means
The University will open at "X"
- All classes of 90 minutes or less with a start time prior to X will not meet.
- All longer classes and labs with a start time prior to X will meet beginning at X if 50 percent or more of the regular meeting time remains.
- All classes and labs beginning at or after X will be held at their normally scheduled times.
The University will close at "Y"
- All classes meeting at or after Y will not be held.
- All classes in session will dismiss at Y. Example—if the University closes at 4 p.m.: All evening classes are cancelled. All classes in session will dismiss at 4 p.m.
Advisories for late openings and all-day closings will be issued by 6 a.m. Early closings will be announced at least two hours in advance.