Parent Inquiry Initiative
Welcome to the Parent Inquiry Initiative, known as Parentii. We are parent researchers and University of Hartford researchers working to understand and promote experiences that build parent capacity. Since 2011, we have been looking at the role of information in parents' lives and how we can support parents with young children from birth through age eight be critical consumers of information as well as producers of essential knowledge.
In the first two years of collaboration, the statewide Parent Information Action Research project focused on understanding parent leadership through research and inquiry opportunities. Hear from us- the parent researchers- why this work matters.
Parentii focuses on parents as co-producers and our work continues to build sustainable momentum through parent actions, research activity, community dissemination, and learning agreements. Parent and University researchers are co-constructing knowledge through the use of inquiry tools to drive community-specific actions. We share a commitment to parent capacity building and to the development and sustaining of parent leaders. Engaging in the generative discourse of deliberation keeps us in the work.
- Doreen Abubakar, Parent Researcher, Community Parent Engagement Network, Newhallville
- Rubis Santos Collado, Parent Researcher, Waterbury Taking Action in Waterbury
- Monica L. Jackson, Parent Researcher in Bridgeport, Community Messenger
- Carmen A. James, MA, Parent Researcher, Waterbury
- Grace Kane, Parent Researcher in Torrington, Torrington Community Messenger
- Nilda Paris, Parent Researcher in Bridgeport Parents Empowering People (PEP), Parent Leaders, Community Messenger
- Timeca Peters, Parent Researcher in Hartford and East Hartford
- Cheryl Petersen, Parent Researcher in Torrington Torrington Early Childhood Collaborative
- Maria Ramos, Parent Researcher in Bridgeport Parent Support - People Empowering People, Parents Empowering People (PEP), Community Messenger
- Karla L. Woodworth, Parent Researcher in Torrington Torrington Early Childhood Collaborative, People Empowering People Facilitator, Community Messenger
Institute for Translational Research, University of Hartford
Additional Parent Information
Action Research Project Members
- William Carter, Parent Researcher Bridgeport Alliance for Young Children
- Crystal Hernandez, Parent Researcher East Hartford Child Plan
- Yury Maciel-Andrews, Parent Researcher New Haven Early Childhood Council
This ongoing research is conducted through the Center for Learning and Professional Education in the Institute for Translational Research in the College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions at the University of Hartford.