Taste of Home Fall 2020
Egg Roll in a Bowl
UHart Dining's Taste of Home Fall 2020 Recipe Contest invites students and parents to submit their favorite recipes. Congratulations to Janet L. Broadway for being this fall's winner with Egg Roll in a Bowl!
- 1 cup of your favorite dry rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 lb ground pork or turkey sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 3/4 cup cole slaw mix
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1–2 tsp Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce
- Prepare your rice according to package directions (different types of rice have different water to rice ratios).
- Heat the oil in a 12” skillet over medium heat for 3–5 minutes.
- Add the onion and sausage to the skillet. Cook for 5–7 minutes, breaking the sausage into pieces.
- Add the bell pepper and coleslaw to the skillet and stir well. Cover and cook for 5–6 minutes.
- For the sauce, add the green onion, soy sauce, honey, and Sriracha to a small bowl. Stir until combined.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet. Cook, uncovered, for 1–2 minutes or until evenly combined and heated through.
- Place rice into bowls and top with mixture. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
This video was pre-recorded.