PhD, Purdue University
BA, Northwestern University
My research is in the field of cellular neurobiology, focusing on a brain cell called the astrocyte. Astrocytes contribute to cognition through communication with neurons and other cells. We study factors involved in astrogenesis (growth of new astrocytes through proliferation) and causes of astrocyte dysfunction. Astrocyte dysfunction is an early predictor of neurological disease and the molecular mechanisms involved provide insight into disease etiology. On the cellular level, changes in the neuronal synapse have been associated with learning, and since astrocytes modulate synaptic communication and growth, this is disrupted if astrocytes are unhealthy. Similarly, local astrocyte proliferation is a normal process into adulthood, and determining what can stimulate or reduce this process could provide further understanding of cognitive processes or decline.
- Mohn T.C. and Koob A.O. (2015) Adult astrogenesis and the etiology of cortical neurodegeneration. Journal of Experimental Neuroscience. 4;9(Suppl 2):25-34. PMID: 26568684
- Koob, A.O., Shaked, G., Bender, A., Bisquertt, A., Rockenstein, E., Masliah, E., (2014) Neurogranin binds α-synuclein in human superior temporal cortex and interaction is decreased in Parkinson's disease, Brain Research, 1591:102-110. PMID: 26568684.
- Bender, A., Desplats, P., Spencer, B., Rockenstein, E., Adame, A., Elstner, M., Laub, C., Mueller, S., Koob, A.O., Mante, M., Pham, E., Klopstock, T., Masliah, E. (2013) TOM-40 mediates mitochondrial dysfunction induced by α-synuclein accumulation in Parkinson’s disease, PLoS One, 8(4):e62277. PMID:23626796.
- Koob A.O. (2013) Protein level analysis from specific cell types in heterogeneous tissue. Recent Advances in Proteomics Research, Nova Science, ed. Ming Li. Series: Protein Biochemistry, Synthesis, Structure and Cellular Function.
- Koob, A.O., Bruns, L., Prassler, C., Masliah, E., Klopstock, T., and Bender, A., (2012), Protein analysis through Western blot of cells excised individually from human brain and muscle tissue with Laser Capture Microdissection, Analytical Biochemistry, 15;425(2):120-4. PMID:22402104.
- Koob A.O., Ubhi K., Paulsson J.F., Kelly J., Rockenstein E., Mante M., Adame A. and Masliah E., (2010) Lovastatin ameliorates α-synuclein accumulation and oxidation in transgenic mouse models of α-synucleinopathies. Experimental Neurology 221: 267-274. PMID:19944097.
- Koob A.O., Paulino A.D. and Masliah E. (2010) GFAP reactivity, apolipoprotein E redistribution and cholesterol reduction in human astrocytes treated with α-synuclein. Neuroscience Letters 469: 11-14. PMID:19932737.
- Koob A., The Root of Thought (2009) FT Press, Prentice Hall.
- Koob, A.O., Harris, B.T. and Duhaime A.C. (2008) Cellular genesis in the postnatal piglet, International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 26 (6): p. 641-646. PMID:18508228.
- Bar-On, P., Crews, L., Koob, A.O., Mizuno, H., Adame, A., Spencer, B., Masliah, E. (2008) Statins reduce neuronal α-synuclein aggregation in in vitro models of Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Neurochemistry 105 (5): p. 1656-67. PMID:18248604.
- Koob, A.O. and Borgens, R.B. (2006) Polyethylene glycol treatment after traumatic brain injury reduces β-amyloid precursor protein accumulation in degenerating axons, Journal of Neuroscience Research 83 (8): p. 1558-1563. PMID:16555285.
- Koob, A.O., Cirillo, J. and Babbs, C.F. (2006) A novel activity box to determine spatial and temporal rat movement after injury and disease, Journal of Neuroscience Methods 157 (2): p. 330-336. PMID:16735064.
- Koob, A.O., Duerstock, B.S., Babbs, C.F., Sun, Y., Borgens, R.B. (2005) Intravenous polyethylene glycol inhibits the loss of cerebral cells after traumatic brain injury, Journal of Neurotrauma 22(10): 1092-1111. PMID: 16238486