PhD, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame
MS, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame
BS, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame
Paul Slaboch teaches a wide range of both undergraduate and graduate courses with an emphasis in the areas of experimental aerodynamics, flight mechanics, fluid mechanics, and turbomachinery. His research interests are in aeroacoustics, experimental fluid mechanics, turbomachinery flows, and aircraft wake turbulence. His research is primarily funded by NASA and the NASA CT Space Grant Consortium. He has completed two Faculty Fellowships at NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, OH and has authored or co-authored over 30 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers that have been presented both nationally and internationally. He is also a licensed Professional Engineer, and a professional member of AIAA, ASME, and ASEE.
Prior to joining the University of Hartford in the fall of 2016, Slaboch was an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at St. Martin’s University in Lacey, WA. Prior to St. Martin’s, he worked for the US Department of Transportation's Volpe Center in Cambridge, MA. While at the Volpe Center, his major areas of research included jet blast and aircraft wake turbulence mitigation strategies. He earned his BS, MS, and PhD in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Notre Dame. His doctoral dissertation examined side window buffeting in automobiles to reduce interior cabin noise.
Higher Education Positions
- Chair, Mechanical, Aerospace, and Acoustical Engineering Department | University of Hartford, 2022-present
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering | University of Hartford, 2021-present
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering | University of Hartford, 2016-2021
- Director, Master of Mechanical Engineering Program | St. Martin’s University, Lacey, WA, 2014-2016
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering | St. Martin’s University, Lacey, WA, 2012-2016
- Visiting Assistant Professor | Shanghai Normal University, Shanghai, China, Summer 2013
Professional and Research Positions
- NASA Glenn Faculty Fellow, Propulsion Division, Acoustics Branch | NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH, Summer 2015 & 2017
- Aerospace Engineer | USDOT Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, MA, 2009-2016
Professional Memberships and License
- Licensed Professional Engineer, CT license #PEN.0036369, WA license #52283,
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- “National Eclipse Ballooning Project (NEBP) Travel of Team to Albuquerque, NM for the Annular Eclipse 2023,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, CT Space Grant Consortium, Aug-Nov 2023, $51,046.83.
- “Nationwide Eclipse Ballooning Project (NEBP) Helium and Supplies for Annular Eclipse 2023,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, CT Space Grant Consortium, July-Nov 2023, $10,570.57.
- “Supersonic Inlet Noise Radiation Study,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, University Space Research Associates (USRA), subcontract to NASA Glenn Research Center, summer 2019, $45,331.
- “Characterization of Acoustic Absorption of Hollow Cylinders,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, CT Space Grant Consortium, Faculty Research Grant, Jan-May 2019, $20,000.
- “Acoustic Radiation of Supersonic Engine Inlet”, Coffin Grant, University of Hartford, 2019, $3,005.
- “Supersonic Inlet Noise Radiation Study,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, University Space Research Associates (USRA), subcontract to NASA Glenn Research Center, summer 2018, $36,205.
- “Group-based technical writing skills development,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, Co-PI: K.A. Wright, and P. Faraci, Transform the Undergraduate Experience through High Impact Practices, University of Hartford, 2018, $6,000.
- “Development of Flow Visualization System,” CETA Student/Faculty Engagement Grant, $3000.
- “Effect of Aft Rotor on Forward Blade Wake in Counter Rotating Open Rotors,” NASA CT Space Grant Consortium, May-Dec 2017, $20,000.
- “Acoustic propagation in supersonic engine inlets,” NASA Glenn Faculty Fellowship, Summer 2017, $15,500.
- “Development of Cylinder in a Cross Flow Lab,” CETA Faculty/Student Engagement Grant, Spring 2017, $3,000
- WTIC-FOX 61 to discuss the acoustics of a lost submersible craft looking for the Titanic, 6/21/23: CT experts weigh in as search efforts continue for missing sub
- CT Insider highlighting the Nationwide Eclipse Balloon Project workshop hosted at UHart, 5/29/23: 'Definitely not a spy balloon': CT students launch weather balloon with NASA
- WTIC-FOX 61 highlighting the Nationwide Eclipse Balloon Project workshop hosted at UHart, 5/24/23: Students from near and far descend on UHart for special balloon project
- NBC CT highlighting the Nationwide Eclipse Balloon Project workshop hosted at UHart, 5/24/23: Nationwide Eclipse Ballooning Project Test Launches Held at UHart
- NBC CT to discuss the initial launch of SpaceX Starship rocket, 4/20/2023: Why the SpaceX Starship Rocket Launch Was a Big Deal – NBC Connecticut
- WTIC-FOX 61 to discuss Orion Spacecraft splashdown and Artemis I mission, 12/11/2022: Connecticut aerospace companies role in NASA's Artemis mission | fox61.com
- Hartford Courant: Discussion of James Webb Space Telescope first images, 7/12/2022: A University of Hartford prof on images from NASA’s new telescope and what it means for us – Hartford Courant
- Hartford Business Journal: New Aerospace engineering program, 12/13/2021: With jobs in high demand, UHart kicks off state’s first-ever aerospace engineering program | Hartford Business Journal
- NBC CT to discuss all civilian crew being launched on SpaceX flight, 9/17/2021: Q&A: Civilians in Space – NBC Connecticut
- WTNH-ABC regarding future of space flight, 7/20/21: University of Hartford aerospace professor explains the future of space travel (wtnh.com)
- WTIC-FOX regarding future of space flight, 7/20/21: The future of space travel | fox61.com
- NBC CT regarding Jeff Bezos Blue Origin Flight, 7/20/21: Aerospace Expert Discusses Bezos Space Flight – NBC Connecticut
Selected Peer Reviewed Journal Publications:
(undergraduate student authors indicated by *)
- King, E.O., Slaboch, P.E., (2023), “International Approaches To Aircraft Noise Abatement Strategies,” Noise Control Engineering Journal, 71(1), pp 34-41. DOI: 3397/1/37714
- Wright, K.A., Slaboch, P.E., and Jamshidi, R., (2022) “Technical Writing Improvements through Engineering Lab Courses,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, 50(1), pp 120-134. Published online July 19, 2020. DOI: 1177/0306419020939621
- Slaboch, P.E., Kaye, S.*, and Casavant, E.*, (2021) “Low Frequency Acoustic Absorption of 3D Printed Cylinders,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 143(1): 011001. Published online July 22, 2020. DOI: 1115/1.4047706
- Slaboch, P.E., Stephens, D.B., Van Zante, D.E., and Wernet, M., (2017) “Effects of Aft Rotor on Inter-rotor Flow of Open Rotor Propulsion System,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139(4): DOI: 10.1115/1.4034356
- Ma, R., Slaboch, P. E., and Morris, S. C., (2009), “Fluid mechanics of a flow-excited Helmholtz resonator,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 623, pp 1-26. DOI: 1017/S0022112008003911
Selected Conference Proceedings:
(undergraduate student authors indicated by *, graduate student authors indicated by ^)
- Sugar, M.^, and Slaboch, P.E., “Variation of Sound Directivity From Supersonic Nacelle,” ASME IMECE-2022-96515, ASME IMECE 2022, Columbus, OH, Oct 31-Nov 3, 2022. DOI: 1115/IMECE2022-96515
- Sugar, M.^, and Slaboch, P.E., “Directivity of sound propagation from a commercial supersonic engine inlet,” Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2021, Aug 2021, pp. 4211-4218(8). DOI: 3397/IN-2021-2633
- Jamshidi, R., Wright, K.A., and Slaboch, P.E., “Enhancement of Students’ Technical Writing through a Combination of Classroom Activities,” 127th ASEE Conference and Exposition, Virtual Conference, June 22-26, 2020. Paper # 25898. https://peer.asee.org/34567
- Stylanides, A.*, Johnson, R.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Effects of Mean Flow on Supersonic Inlet Noise Radiation”, AIAA-2020-2584, AIAA AVIATION Forum, Virtual Event, June 16-20, 2020. DOI: 2514/6.2020-2584
- Kaye, S.*, Casavant, E.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Low Frequency Absorption of Additively Manufactured and Natural Cylinders,” ASME IMECE-2019-11338, ASME IMECE 2019, Salt Lake City, UT, Nov 11-15, 2019. DOI: 1115/IMECE2019-11338
- Wright, K.A., and Slaboch, P.E., “Enhancement of a Thermo-Fluid Laboratory Course: Focus on Technical Writing,” 126th ASEE Conference and Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 16, 2019. https://peer.asee.org/32165
- Brown, J.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Acoustic Radiation of Supersonic Inlet with Auxiliary Door and Mean Flow,” AIAA Paper 2019-2518, 25th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Delft, Netherlands, 18 May 2019. DOI: 2514/6.2019-2518
- Stephens, D.B., Miller, C.J., Slaboch, P.E., Brown, J.*, and Celestina, J.M., “Supersonic Engine Inlet Tone Noise Radiation,” AIAA Paper 2019-2493, 25th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Delft, Netherlands, 18 May 2019. DOI: 2514/6.2019-2493
- King, E., Caltagirone, E.*, Steers, B.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Mapping Tranquility - A Case Study Of The Central Park Soundscape, New York City,” Internoise paper 1541, Impact of Noise Control Engineering Conference, Chicago, IL, Aug 26-29, 2018. Link to article
- Slaboch, P.E., “Acoustic Analysis of STEX Inlet on Fan Noise Radiation,” Internoise paper 1884, Impact of Noise Control Engineering Conference, Chicago, IL, Aug 26-29, 2018. Link to article