PhD, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame
MS, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame
BS, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame
Paul Slaboch teaches a wide range of both graduate and undergraduate courses with an emphasis in the areas of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. His primary research interests are in aeroacoustics, experimental fluid mechanics, turbomachinery flows, and aircraft wake turbulence. His research is primarily funded by NASA and the NASA CT Space Grant Consortium. He has completed two Faculty Fellowships at NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, OH and has authored or co-authored over 20 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers that have been presented both nationally and internationally. He is also a registered Professional Engineer. In March 2020, he advanced to the rank of Senior Member within the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), the world's largest technical society devoted to the Aerospace profession.
Prior to joining the University of Hartford in the fall of 2016, Slaboch was an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at St. Martin’s University in Lacey, WA. Prior to St. Martin’s, he worked for the US Department of Transportation's Volpe National Transportation Systems Center in Cambridge, MA. While at the Volpe Center, his major areas of research included jet blast and aircraft wake turbulence mitigation strategies. He earned his BS, MS, and PhD in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Notre Dame. His doctoral dissertation examined side window buffeting in automobiles to reduce interior cabin noise.
Higher Education Positions
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering | University of Hartford, 2021-present
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering | University of Hartford, 2016-2021
- Director, Master of Mechanical Engineering Program | St. Martin’s University, Lacey, WA, 2014-2016
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering | St. Martin’s University, Lacey, WA, 2012-2016
- Visiting Assistant Professor | Shanghai Normal University, Shanghai, China, Summer 2013
Professional and Research Positions
- NASA Glenn Faculty Fellow, Propulsion Division, Acoustics Branch | NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH, Summer 2015 & 2017
- Aerospace Engineer | USDOT Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, MA, 2009-2016
Professional Memberships and License
- Licensed Professional Engineer, WA license #52283, Active since 2014
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Aircraft wake turbulence
- “Supersonic Inlet Noise Radiation Study,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, University Space Research Associates (USRA), subcontract to NASA Glenn Research Center, summer 2019, $45,331.
- “Characterization of Acoustic Absorption of Hollow Cylinders,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, CT Space Grant Consortium, Faculty Research Grant, Jan-May 2019, $20,000.
- “Acoustic Radiation of Supersonic Engine Inlet”, Coffin Grant, University of Hartford, 2019, $3,005.
- “Supersonic Inlet Noise Radiation Study,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, University Space Research Associates (USRA), subcontract to NASA Glenn Research Center, summer 2018, $36,205.
- “Group-based technical writing skills development,” PI: P.E. Slaboch, Co-PI: K.A. Wright, and P. Faraci, Transform the Undergraduate Experience through High Impact Practices, University of Hartford, 2018, $6,000.
- “Development of Flow Visualization System,” CETA Student/Faculty Engagement Grant, $3000.
- “Effect of Aft Rotor on Forward Blade Wake in Counter Rotating Open Rotors,” NASA CT Space Grant Consortium, May-Dec 2017, $20,000.
- “Acoustic propagation in supersonic engine inlets,” NASA Glenn Faculty Fellowship, Summer 2017, $15,500.
- “Development of Cylinder in a Cross Flow Lab,” CETA Faculty/Student Engagement Grant, Spring 2017, $3,000.
- NASA Glenn Faculty Fellowship, $15k, 2015
- “Metallic Foil Thermal Interface Structure”, Intel Corp., $10k/yr, 2 years, 2015
- “Thermal analysis of in-situ solder ball reflow”, Intel Corp., $8k/yr, 2 years, 2013
- Building start-up equipment grant, PIV system, E.L. Wiegand Foundation, $190k, 2012
- Instructional Technology Innovation Grant, $1k, 2012
Honors and Awards
- USDOT Secretary’s Award – Partnering for Excellence, Aircraft Wake Vortex Re-Categorization at Memphis Team
- USDOT Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) Team Award for Wake Turbulence
- AME Graduate Student Conference Best Oral presentation
- Jerome L. Novotny Award for Heat Transfer Design
- Sigma Gamma Tau, Aerospace Engineering honor society
Selected Peer Reviewed Journal Publications:
(undergraduate student authors are indicated by *)
- Slaboch, P.E., Kaye, S.*, and Casavant, E.*, (2021) “Low Frequency Acoustic Absorption of 3D Printed Cylinders,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 143(1): 011001. Published online July 22, 2020. DOI: 1115/1.4047706
- Wright, K.A., Slaboch, P.E., and Jamshidi, R., (2020) “Technical Writing Improvements through Engineering Lab Courses,” To be published in: International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education. Published online July 19, 2020. DOI: 1177/0306419020939621
- Slaboch, P.E., Stephens, D.B., Van Zante, D.E., and Wernet, M., (2017) “Effects of Aft Rotor on Inter-rotor Flow of Open Rotor Propulsion System,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139(4): DOI: 10.1115/1.4034356
- Ma, R., Slaboch, P. E., and Morris, S. C., (2009), “Fluid mechanics of a flow-excited Helmholtz resonator,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 623, pp 1-26. DOI: 1017/S0022112008003911
- Slaboch, P. E., Morris, S. C., Ma, R., Shannon, D., Gleason, M., and Puskarz, M., (2009), “Window Buffeting Measurements Of A Full Scale Vehicle And Simplified Small Scale Models,” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems,2(1), pp 410-418. DOI: 4271/2009-01-0181
Selected Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
(undergraduate student authors are indicated by *)
- Jamshidi, R., Wright, K.A., and Slaboch, P.E., “Enhancement of Students’ Technical Writing through a Combination of Classroom Activities,” 127th ASEE Conference and Exposition, Virtual Conference, June 22-26, 2020. Paper # 25898. https://peer.asee.org/34567
- Stylanides, A.*, Johnson, R.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Effects of Mean Flow on Supersonic Inlet Noise Radiation”, AIAA-2020-2584, AIAA AVIATION Forum, Virtual Event, June 16-20, 2020. DOI: 2514/6.2020-2584
- Kaye, S.*, Casavant, E.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Low Frequency Absorption of Additively Manufactured and Natural Cylinders,” ASME IMECE-2019-11338, ASME IMECE 2019, Salt Lake City, UT, Nov 11-15, 2019. DOI: 1115/IMECE2019-11338
- Wright, K.A., and Slaboch, P.E., “Enhancement of a Thermo-Fluid Laboratory Course: Focus on Technical Writing,” 126th ASEE Conference and Exposition, Tampa, FL, June 16, 2019. https://peer.asee.org/32165
- Brown, J.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Acoustic Radiation of Supersonic Inlet with Auxiliary Door and Mean Flow,” AIAA Paper 2019-2518, 25th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Delft, Netherlands, 18 May 2019. DOI: 2514/6.2019-2518
- Stephens, D.B., Miller, C.J., Slaboch, P.E., Brown, J.*, and Celestina, J.M., “Supersonic Engine Inlet Tone Noise Radiation,” AIAA Paper 2019-2493, 25th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Delft, Netherlands, 18 May 2019. DOI: 2514/6.2019-2493
- King, E., Caltagirone, E.*, Steers, B.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Mapping Tranquility - A Case Study Of The Central Park Soundscape, New York City,” Internoise paper 1541, Impact of Noise Control Engineering Conference, Chicago, IL, Aug 26-29, 2018. Link to article
- Slaboch, P.E., “Acoustic Analysis of STEX Inlet on Fan Noise Radiation,” Internoise paper 1884, Impact of Noise Control Engineering Conference, Chicago, IL, Aug 26-29, 2018. Link to article
- Lepak, W.*, Sterner, M.*, and Slaboch, P.E., "Acoustic Performance of Additively Manufactured Reeds as an Absorber,” Internoise paper 1883, Impact of Noise Control Engineering Conference, Chicago, IL, Aug 26-29, 2018. Link to article
- DeLorenzo, C.*, Deleon, J.*, and Slaboch, P.E., “Effect of Aft Rotor on Forward Rotor Blade Wakes in Open Rotor Propulsion Systems,” ASME Paper No. GT2018-76183, ASME Turbo Expo, June 9-13, 2018, Oslo, Norway DOI: 10.1115/GT2018-76183