Visitors on Campus
Fall 2022 Campus Access Policy
Enhanced health and safety protocols are impacting access to campus.
This information was updated on August 4, 2022.
External guests are now allowed for University-sponsored events, including performances, recitals, exhibitions, expos, and athletic events. Faculty and staff can have guest speakers attend classes and events.
In general, guests are permitted in the Residential Halls and should follow all guest policies.
The policies proposed in this document address most scenarios of visits to campus. Any unforeseen scenarios will be handled on a “case by case” basis, while adhering to best practice. This policy also addresses the occurrences when visitors will be permitted on campus and the guidelines that must be followed when visiting.
Until further notice, the University of Hartford will abide by the communicated campus access restrictions and event requirements. This policy is applicable to all University of Hartford campuses and persons accessing them. Failure to comply with this policy by any person(s) may result in their removal from campus, suspension from University programs, and/or disciplinary actions.
- Access to the Main Campus
- All pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic must access the Main Campus through the Main Entrance on Bloomfield Avenue
- All persons entering Main Campus must present either a valid UHart ID or valid government issued photo ID to PS at the Main Gate. Failure to present appropriate identification may result in not being permitted to enter the campus.
- Faculty, staff, and student vehicles are required to purchase and display a valid parking permit.
- Staff and faculty with a valid parking permit may access Main Campus through the North Entrance gate - Monday – Friday, 8:15 a.m.–9:00 a.m.
- Beginning at 10 p.m. each night, until 5 a.m. the following morning, non-UHart Community Members must be accompanied by a UHart Community member to enter campus at the Main Entrance. The UHart Community member must present a valid UHart ID, and the Non-UHart Community member(s) must present a government issued photo ID at time of entry.
- Access to Handel Performing Arts Center (HPAC), Institutional Advancement (IA) and Asylum Avenue Campus
- UHart and Non-UHart Community members must access HPAC through the Westbourne Parkway Main Entrance.
- UHart and Non-UHart Community members must access IA through the Granby St. Entrance.
- Access Control
- The Department of Public Safety will staff the Main Entrance at all times (24 hours/day, 7 days a week, 365 days/year).
- Food Delivery/Transportation services:
- UBER, LYFT, ride share, taxi service providers, and food delivery services are permitted to enter campus at the Main Entrance to deliver food or provide contracted transportation services.
- The food delivery/transportation service provider must provide the name of the community member (via the rideshare app) who has contracted services to PS at the main entrance to gain entry to campus.
- Food delivery/transportation providers are expected to vacate campus immediately once they have delivered food or picked up/dropped off a Community member.
- Deliveries are allowed for students in isolation.
- Prospective Students and Families:
- Prospective students and families may visit campus for Admissions-sponsored events (tours, Fall Visit Days, Accepted Student Days, etc.).
- Admissions-sponsored events will be scheduled through Admissions. participants must follow posted pre-registration processes and Office of Admission visitor guidelines.
- Prospective student-athletes may visit campus for Athletics-sponsored recruitment events and must follow posted pre-registration process and Office of Admission visitor guidelines.
- Guests at University sponsored events: (Indoor athletics event, performances, guest speakers/lecturers, etc.)
- Guests for these events may be required to present a valid event ticket, proof of purchase, and/or event registration receipt to gain entry to Main Campus.
- Follow all protocols established by the University and event coordinators for that specific event.
Non-Residential Buildings and Hours of Operation
- During the Academic Year
- Campus buildings are open until 11 p.m. unless otherwise posted. Building access after-hours is permitted with written approval.
- The Hursey Center Lobby is open until 1 a.m.
- The library closes at 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday (during finals week the library is open 24/7).
- Breaks and Summer
- Building hours will vary.
- UHart Community members are expected to follow the posted schedules .
University Magnet School
- Students and University Magnet School guests will arrive and depart from the school via school bus and private vehicles.
- School buses and private vehicles transporting Magnet School students and guests will enter and exit campus using the Main Entrance.
- Public Safety officers will provide traffic direction and control at the Main Entrance and Magnet School driveway, as needed.
Access to Residential buildings, rooms, suites (see ORL Guest Policy)
- Guests are permitted to visit residential areas.
- Guests must follow the ORL Guest Policy and stay with their host at all times.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the CDC, older adults and those with underlying medical conditions, are especially vulnerable. By visiting UHart you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.