Professional Licensure

Under 34 CFR Sec. 668.43, federal regulations have been adopted that create disclosure requirements for professional licensure programs regardless of the mode of delivery in that the rules apply to both face-to-face and distance education programs. Per the new rules, institutions are required to determine the states in which a student and prospective student is located for the purpose of disclosing state-specific professional licensure information to students based on the state in which a student is located.

The University of Hartford offers several programs leading to professional licensure and certification within the State of Connecticut. States and other jurisdictions vary in what professions they require to be licensed and the requirements for licensure within their borders. Admission into programs for professions that require licensure and certification does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or certification. Licensure and certification requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the University of Hartford, and licensure and certification requirements can change at any time.

The University of Hartford is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). Membership allows us to provide distance education programs to individuals located in other states. All states with the exception of California participate in SARA. SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt students from state professional licensure requirements. Additionally, host states requiring approval of supervised field experiences by agencies or boards responsible for fields requiring licensure or certification for practice remain in effect.


Students who relocate while enrolled in a professional licensure program may impact their ability to remain in the program, meet state licensing requirements, and/or receive financial aid funding. Students who are considering relocation are advised to first contact their academic program director and the student financial aid office to discuss the potential impact of relocation. Students are advised to also contact the state licensing agency for the state to which they are relocating, to determine new licensing requirements they may need to meet. The dashboard below can be used to obtain the link to each state’s licensing agency.

Professional Licensure Dashboard

The University of Hartford programs are designed to meet professional licensure and certification requirements for the State of Connecticut. The dashboard below allows students to look up their academic program and the state in which they intend to be licensed. The dashboard provides a link to each state’s licensing agency for additional information. The state list includes the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.