Ceremonies for Classes of 2020 and 2021
May 15–16, 2021
UHart will host six separate ceremonies at the XL Center in downtown Hartford during the weekend of Saturday, May 15, and Sunday, May 16. This venue gives us the best option to safely welcome our graduates with guests, without the additional weather concerns related to outdoor ceremonies. These ceremonies will be streamlined to keep the focus where it belongs—on the students from the Classes of 2020 and 2021 and their wonderful accomplishments during these most challenging of times.
Each of the ceremonies will be livestreamed and that the names of all graduating students will be read, regardless if they are celebrating in person or at home.
• Ceremony start times each day will be 8:30 a.m., 2 p.m., and 7:30 p.m. Each ceremony will be approximately 90 minutes in length, and the arena will be thoroughly sanitized and air circulated between ceremonies.
• Each ceremony will host no more than 400 students and two ticketed guests each, in order to comply with state-mandated capacity limits for the XL Center. Due to the size restrictions, special requests for dates and times cannot be accommodated. Students who completed the response form by the April 6 deadline will have their tickets emailed to them directly from the XL Center—valid for the specified ceremony only. Please be sure to print or save your tickets somewhere they won’t be lost. Students who did not respond by the April 6 deadline and who now wish to participate should send an email request immediately. Requests will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis as space allows.
• All graduates and guests will be required to wear face coverings at all times and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
• Students responding that they would like to attend in person will be allotted two tickets each for their guests, emailed to them directly from the XL Center—and valid for the specified ceremony only. All seating is assigned to allow for 6-foot distancing between other family groups within the arena. No tickets will be available during Commencement Weekend, and graduates and guests must not arrive earlier than one hour prior to the ceremony start time.
• To celebrate the achievements of our doctoral students, we will host a small hooding ceremony on campus at a date to be announced.
• The UHart main campus will be open to graduating students and their guests on May 15–16 to allow graduates to take photos with their friends and families at their favorite outdoor campus locations at any point before or after their ceremony date and time that weekend.
Questions? Email the Commencement Committee today.