Jazz Brunch: Cooking with Sam Belotte '06
Premieres on Sunday, Oct. 18, at 10 a.m. and will remain available for viewing. This premiere is followed by a brief break so you can stir up your drinks and fill your plates before Jazz with Mike Casey '15 at 11 a.m.
Chicken and Cheddar Waffles with Maple Syrup
by Sam Belotte '06 of Love Bites
- Chicken drumsticks or thighs (or other protein such as shrimp)
- 1 boxed waffle mix of your choice
- 1 can of seltzer or club soda
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Maple syrup
- Vegetable or canola oil
Directions for Waffles
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Follow the instructions accordingly for the waffle mix of your choice.
- Add a splash of seltzer or club soda; this will ensure light, fluffy, and crispy waffles!
- Add a handful of shredded cheddar cheese to the batter (optional).
- Ladle the batter slowly into the waffle iron; be careful not to overfill.
- Allow to cook for 2–3 minutes; some waffle irons settings will let you know when it's done.
- When done, drizzle maple syrup over your delicious waffle and enjoy!
Directions for Fried Chicken
- Briefly rinse your chicken portions with warm water and lemon in a large bowl. This will help to remove the slime and film off the chicken. After discarding water, pat portions dry with a paper towel.
- Combine all dry seasoning ingredients and evenly sprinkle over chicken pieces. If you'd like a zip, add 2–3 dashes of your favorite hot sauce (optional, for added flavor).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 mins to 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, pour the oil in a cast iron skillet until it is about 3/4 inch deep. You can also use a deep fryer if available. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the breading by combining the flour, panko bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and salt in a gallon sized resealable plastic bag. Mix it thoroughly.
- Working one to two pieces at a time, place the chicken in the breading mix and coat thoroughly. Tap off the excess.
- Place the breaded chicken into the 350 degree oil. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time. The chicken will drop the temperature of the oil so keep it as close to 350 degrees as possible. Fry each piece for 12–15 minutes, turning each piece over about every 2 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
St-Germain Champagne Cocktail
- St-Germain liqueurChampagne or prosecco
Sparkling or seltzer water
Fall Spiced Mocktail
This event was pre-recorded.